free website stats program Run, Brake, Turn-Compatible with Hitch wiring? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Run, Brake, Turn-Compatible with Hitch wiring?

When I bought my Ultra they told me that pulling a trailer would void the warranty so I decided to wait on pulling one.

I was told by my dealer that adding the hitch and pulling a trailer cannot void the warranty. They then said that if there are driveline issues with the bike under warranty that I "may be on my own". Which, I guess means they won't even think about covering it. My plan was to install the hitch after the 1000 mile service. I guess all the guys I ride with who do camp and pull a trailer behind are abusing the factory drivetrain- according to the MOCO.
Okay, if that is the case, what is more difficult on the drivetrain- pulling a 200 lb trailer behind the cycle, or turning TWO car tires and heavy, heavy rims and all the extra weight of the body on the Tri-Glide? To me it's a horse apiece. Without a doubt-IMHO- the trailer thing comes back to Harley Davidson Liability in the event of a crash. Too many lawyers in this country.

I was told by my dealer that adding the hitch and pulling a trailer cannot void the warranty. They then said that if there are driveline issues with the bike under warranty that I "may be on my own". Which, I guess means they won't even think about covering it. My plan was to install the hitch after the 1000 mile service. I guess all the guys I ride with who do camp and pull a trailer behind are abusing the factory drivetrain- according to the MOCO.
Okay, if that is the case, what is more difficult on the drivetrain- pulling a 200 lb trailer behind the cycle, or turning TWO car tires and heavy, heavy rims and all the extra weight of the body on the Tri-Glide? To me it's a horse apiece. Without a doubt-IMHO- the trailer thing comes back to Harley Davidson Liability in the event of a crash. Too many lawyers in this country.

Agree, but The MOCO does not play well with the Trailer people and it is too bad IMO

I have the same setup on my 2010 Ultra Limited I just take the run brake turn off when towing not a big deal. I have been trailering for years and I would rather tow than put all my gear on the back of my bike (I use it only for hauling my camping gear). Bushtec Roadstar alway use a swivel hitch.

What happens if driver weighs 285lbs and passenger weighs 260lbs? All of this and full packed bags and tour pack. How does the MOCO handle this? Weight is weight...right?
wilks3

What happens if driver weighs 285lbs and passenger weighs 260lbs? All of this and full packed bags and tour pack. How does the MOCO handle this? Weight is weight...right?
wilks3

Yes, I agree. I also feel that even though a sidecar rig is "engineered" by Harley to be used on a Harley, that same sidecar rig will put way more stress on the frame and drivetrain due to the sideways nature than a trailer of equal weight does. When we pull our trailer, the bags on the bike are empty-completely. Everything is in the trailer. I just think that once rolling, the trailer pulls much easier than the trike does or a sidecar does.
IMHO.

Back