free website stats program Run, Brake, Turn-Compatible with Hitch wiring? | Harley Davidson Forums

Run, Brake, Turn-Compatible with Hitch wiring?

I hate to ask this, because I suspect I know the answer. Is it possible to connect a hitch wiring harness to my Ultra Limited even though I have the Run, Brake, Turn wiring done? If it is possible to connect this, is it safe for the charging system? Would I be better off to just remove the run, brake, turn when I connect the hitch wiring? I think the RBT is a Harley harness. It was installed prior to delivery. The Hitch wiring harness is a Khrome Werks part. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to over load the charging system just to have two extra lights out back.

This is an "off the cuff" answer, but I believe the new 2011 H-D wiring is using a "network linked system" kinda like multiple addressed hardware on a serial bus (computer speak). What this means is that putting new hardware on may be a little more trickier due to simple series/parallel wiring of old. With a networked system, it is like connecting new hardware to a modern computer, if it does not recognize it, at best it will only give you a DTC diagnostic alarm...at worst, it could disable that area of the circuitry you are working on...trying to protect and isolate itself from it. I would probably find out from the H-D dealer as they have probably had service meetings concerning the addition of lighting and other accessories. Just my 2 cents...! You do not want to take a chance on damaging the central microprocessor controller or the periperal device driver circuits...THAT may not be covered under warranty if it is discovered you "tampered" with the factory wiring.:(

Yes, that is all great advice. My only problem is MY dealer will not install anything to do with trailer hitches. I assume that means the wiring harness as well. I will have to maybe check with H-D Wausau. A friend had his 2010 Limited wired and hitched. SO either he will know or they may do it for me.:cheers

Yes, that is all great advice. My only problem is MY dealer will not install anything to do with trailer hitches. I assume that means the wiring harness as well. I will have to maybe check with H-D Wausau. A friend had his 2010 Limited wired and hitched. SO either he will know or they may do it for me.:cheers

I could be wrong but it seems to me H D does not condone pulling trailers and frown on bikes with hitches

Jack,
Of course Harley frowns on that. So does Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW and Victory. I see hundreds and hundreds of these running around the USA with a trailer following suspiciously close behind them, too. I pulled a trailer behind my Venture for 5 years and never had any issue with anything. Three friends that immediately come to mind pull trailers behind their Ultras and they don't have any issues either. just sayin..................:coffee

Jack,
Of course Harley frowns on that. So does Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW and Victory. I see hundreds and hundreds of these running around the USA with a trailer following suspiciously close behind them, too. I pulled a trailer behind my Venture for 5 years and never had any issue with anything. Three friends that immediately come to mind pull trailers behind their Ultras and they don't have any issues either. just sayin..................:coffee

Yeah, I could never understand the MOCO and the stand they take on trailers and towing. The owner assumes all of the risks

Towing a trailer is tuff on any vehicle, even trucks. That extra axle and all the shock it puts on your drive train, suspension, and you takes its toll after a while. Not to metion increased stopping distance, cornering, everything about it is tough on the vehicle. But why the moco is against it beyond that, I do not know. With as many people that do tow trailers, you think they would capitalize on it and offer an option for the big frames for towing. Beef up the frame or some kind of mounts for a hitch, wire in a harness/plug in, bigger charging system. They started making a trike, so maybe a trailer hauling v-twin is only a matter of time.
That being said, what do you think will come first, a trailer towing edition or liquid cooled?

Towing a trailer is tuff on any vehicle, even trucks. That extra axle and all the shock it puts on your drive train, suspension, and you takes its toll after a while. Not to metion increased stopping distance, cornering, everything about it is tough on the vehicle. But why the moco is against it beyond that, I do not know. With as many people that do tow trailers, you think they would capitalize on it and offer an option for the big frames for towing. Beef up the frame or some kind of mounts for a hitch, wire in a harness/plug in, bigger charging system. They started making a trike, so maybe a trailer hauling v-twin is only a matter of time.
That being said, what do you think will come first, a trailer towing edition or liquid cooled?

That's an easy one to answer. Liquid Cooled. I think they have been heading that way for years. One reason I bought this year. I know the air cooled motors will live on for years, but I think within the next 2-3 model years they will offer a touring rig in the V-Rod style motor.
I doubt they will ever off anything for towing. As for me- I only use my trailer about 3 trips a year. Basically to haul camping gear to a "base camp" and then haul it home again when we travel. Pulling a trailer is really not a big deal. I thought it would be, but it really is not.

For the most part, I still do not need the extra capacity the trailer would offer, but understand that some do. Honestly though, I would be a bit nervous about riding with one behind me. I am still nervous on a bike in many situations, or maybe its just extremely cautious, I do not know. Riding for over 20 years now, so it probably is something that will not just go away.
As far as the moco, I am sure they crunched the numbers on paper and figured that it is just not cost beneficial to offer a model with trailering capacity. Must be something to do with liability though, as it seems to me it has been proven that the bikes can handle it.
An indy i get parts from was showing me pictures of a S/G he built with a side hack rig. The guy who owned it was using it to carry ladders and tools around so he could run his handyman business. I thought that was kind of cool. The motorcycle started as a primary source of transportation for many, and used in every season. Now it is ALMOST strictly for pleasure. Funny how things change. With the steady increase in fuel prices, I think that trend will revert further back towards the way it used to be.

I hate to ask this, because I suspect I know the answer. Is it possible to connect a hitch wiring harness to my Ultra Limited even though I have the Run, Brake, Turn wiring done? If it is possible to connect this, is it safe for the charging system? Would I be better off to just remove the run, brake, turn when I connect the hitch wiring? I think the RBT is a Harley harness. It was installed prior to delivery. The Hitch wiring harness is a Khrome Werks part. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to over load the charging system just to have two extra lights out back.
allo
If you pull a trailer and you have a problem with your Harley, the warranty will not pay.
My friend got a trouble with his bike and Harley did not paid. I am leaving in Quebec. May be it is different in USA.
Ask your dealer before to put a hitch.

Back