free website stats program rubbing noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

rubbing noise?

jazzman803

2007 Dyna Super Glide FXD, 10,000 miles : a few days ago as I was taking a ride with a rider, she noticed what she called a 'rubbing' noise coming from the rear of the bike. I listened for it and heard it, too. The noise seems to start after the bike has been running a while and is evident as I'm accelerating through all 6 gears and while cruising. If I back off of the throttle or pull the clutch lever in, it seems to disappear. I had the bike in for 10,000 mile maintenance and had a new rear tire installed about a week ago. Anyone had this problem or is it just another one of "those Harley noises"?

Also check the belt tension. The noise you hear is common with a belt which is too tight. The tension of the belt can actually increase when the weight of the extra rider changes the angle of the swingarm.

I had the exact same concern with my '07 WideGlide. Took it to the dealer and they found a stone lodged between the the teeth in the drive belt. Replaced the belt (under warranty) and the noise is gone!

check and see if the noise isnt coming from the primary side of your bike, if you pull in the clutch and the noise disapears it would lead me to think it's your inner primary bearing which are known to be bad in the 06 and early 07 dynas. I had this problem with my 06 and the dealer replaced it for free and i was well out of warranty.

I was leaning towards the IPB also but the mechanic at the Harley shop took it for a ride and didn't hear anything (go figure) and said he was willing to bet the noise was the automatic chain tensioner.

Those cam tensioners can be nasty. We just did a 103 screamin eagle engine and both tensioners were nearly gone. Replacing them really quieted down the engine.

Back