free website stats program Rubber Mount vs Balanced Crank Shaft | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rubber Mount vs Balanced Crank Shaft

I have to agree that Softails do vibrate at certain speeds. Can't really comment on a touring model, except watching my buddy's hands shake like a paint can in a mixer is kinda amusing!:lolrolling

Actually, with any engine or rotating part you will develop a harmonic vibration at a certain rpm. You may notice it in your car that at a certain RPM or speed you may get a vibration that's noticeable. That's what proper balancing is supposed to control.

They shake at idle because the baggers are not counter balanced and the size of the pistons will cause them to shake quite a bit as they run plus the fact they are rubber mounted as opposed to solid mounted with counter balancers like in the softail models.

Is this an image Harley is after for these type bikes?

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight that has a softail custom with a balanced shaft. He doesn't like it because it doesn't vibrate.:p He said that's what a HD is all about.

I wonder if it's possible to retro fit a rigid mount with rubber mounts?

Had a 2000 Electra-Glide Standard "paint shaker", loved it.

Traded it for a 2002 Fatboy with the Twin Cam B motor. Beautiful bike but for some reason the engine was way too smooth and felt completely different because of the counter balanced motor.

Fast forward to 2007 when I took delivery of a 2008 Electra-Glide Classic "paint shaker".

Now I am happy again and wouldn't consider going back to a B motor.

Okay I just thought it something they wanted just for the touring. Mine is very smooth after idle... I road a friends softail and it vibrated and certain RPM's almost like the engine was straining. It got my attention right away. I know this wasn't the case but it seemed so.

ive got a 92 softail a 93 sportster and a 94 dyna wide glide
the dyna is rubber mounted and it feels weird as thers no feedback
from the engine
after years of riding smooth bikes motoguzzi and bmw boxer
when i first rode the sportster took my mind back to my 75 triumph
and i knew what id been missing for years the vibration
so for me the sportster and the softail are good and wife is happy on the dyna

Back