free website stats program Rubber Bumpers away | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rubber Bumpers away

I bent the tips and removed the bumper then put that piece back on and bent it back around the bolts. I think it just keeps the bolts from vibrating out.

Try getting an open end wrench on the bolt. It may take a little working around to get it onto 2 opposite flats, but if you can and are able to apply a litte pressure, when the bolt turns it will force the locking tabs away from the bolt head and you then will be able to get a socket on it to remove the bolt.
If that doesn't work, you can use a long thin chisel or screwdriver and you should be able to get at the tabs on the locking plates by reaching thru from the opposite side. Once you bend the tabs out a little, You can use a ratchet and long extension to reach thru and remove the bolt.
After you get the bolts out, and remove the bumper, reverse the order and reinstall the bolts. With the bolts in and tight, use the long punch again to rebend the lock tabs back against the flats of the bolt head.
Very important to use the lock tabs to safety lock those bolts in place.

That is exactly what I did, with the screw driver. Worked great didn't have to remove the brake or the tire. But have a problem with the back bracket. It will not fit on my 04. Not sure if my fender is narrower.

I don't know if it is or not Jay. If you have your rear bumper off, match it up with the new bracket and see where the holes fall. It should match up pretty close and bolt right back where the bumper did.
When the new btacket is inside the fender, it does sit back a ittle from the inside of the fender.

It won't fit inside the fender. The holes do line up pretty close and will work. I don't want to force it in the fender and have it rub.

Jay, did you look closely at those pictures I took in post#14 of this thread? The brace actually fits more below, than up inside the fender.
Since that is an 04 Road King part, and you are putting it on another 04 FL series bike, I can't imagine there being a difference.

Back