free website stats program Rte thru GA | Harley Davidson Forums

Rte thru GA

late2Harley

Hi All,
Could use a recommendation for a good ride through GA…from the Tail of the Dragon to Daytona. The map shows Rte 441 as a pretty direct road, but I know nothing about it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Vic
'10 Road King Classic

I haven't been there in years, but I do remember a Rt 221 that ran through the back country areas. Nice ride but pay attention to the speed limits. They sure do. Rt 221 meets Rt 1 and that heads into Florida.

Totally depends. Do you just want to get to Daytona quickly? Interstates are in good shape and motorcycles can ride in the HOV lane going through Atlanta.

Now, if you're looking for a nice, relaxing, non-interstate route you have lots of options.

441 is a good route and gives you the advantage of only having to remember one number all the way through the state. Takes you through Athens which is a neat college town.

Or once you get to McRae, you could transition onto 341, I think it's referred to as the Golden Isles Causeway or something like that on some maps, and take it to Jesup where 301 takes you south into Jacksonville.

Whatever you decide to do, be prepared for a big change in the scenery. South Georgia is quite flat compared to The Dragon and north Georgia!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been there in years, but I do remember a Rt 221 that ran through the back country areas. Nice ride but pay attention to the speed limits. They sure do. Rt 221 meets Rt 1 and that heads into Florida.

221 is actually mostly South Carolina and doesn't enter Georgia until just outside Augusta. Pretty far south and east of where he'll be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally forgot - if you're going to be there Saturday, we'd love to meet you and hear about your trip!

2010 Biketoberfest Brunch/Meet and Greet! - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
My in-laws take 441, like what Doc said, down from GA into FL. They love that road compared to any Hwy.

I live in Middle Ga and have ridden both 441 and 129 North and South many times. Coming from N. Carolina, 129 is a better (twistier) road until Athens area.
Both are well maintained roads and go through some really nice scenery. Once you start to get into Southern Ga, 441 goes through slightly less populated areas and into the Okefenokee Swamp area. Gas up, only 1 station South of Douglas/Pearson. When going to Fl., I usually take one road down, the other back. Once in Fl.,you can either take I-10/ I-95 to Daytona, or my preference, FL 100 out of Lake City to Palm Coast, just north of Daytona.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated.
I plan on staying off the Interstates as much as possible.

Dr, I have been following your invites to the HDtalking get together in Daytona. I plan on leaving early Sat morning for West Palm to see my son…but I might have to delay that departure.

This is the longest trip to date for me. North of Boston, through the Pocono’s, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mt Parkway, The Tail and on to Daytona.
Might head back following 17 up the coast.

Thanks again for everyone’s’ input.
Vic

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated.
I plan on staying off the Interstates as much as possible.

Dr, I have been following your invites to the HDtalking get together in Daytona. I plan on leaving early Sat morning for West Palm to see my son…but I might have to delay that departure.

This is the longest trip to date for me. North of Boston, through the Pocono’s, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mt Parkway, The Tail and on to Daytona.
Might head back following 17 up the coast.

Thanks again for everyone’s’ input.
Vic

We would all be honored if you came but understand that family always comes first.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Bring warm clothes since you'll be at higher altitudes on the Parkway and Dragon.

If you are up for a good ride through lots of little Georgia towns, try US Highway 27. It runs from around Chattanooga, Tn., through Georgia all the way to Miami, or very close by. Don't know how broken up it is now but when I was a kid, that was the way we went to Florida. I have ridden on parts of it in Florida but not in Georgia in quite a while. Every which way you go have a safe and enjoyable trip.

If you are up for a good ride through lots of little Georgia towns, try US Highway 27. It runs from around Chattanooga, Tn., through Georgia all the way to Miami, or very close by. Don't know how broken up it is now but when I was a kid, that was the way we went to Florida. I have ridden on parts of it in Florida but not in Georgia in quite a while. Every which way you go have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Good to know - I've been route planning for my departure Monday AM and was looking seriously at taking Hwy 27 for a good bit.

Thanks!

Back