free website stats program RPM's | Harley Davidson Forums

RPM's

HD4ME!

I have an 08 FLHTCU and am curious at to what a good cruising RPM is.

Thanks in advance!

I have an 08 FLHTCU and am curious at to what a good cruising RPM is.

Thanks in advance!

Just pop that baby in 6th gear and go. If you're doing about 75 mph in 6th gear, you should be turning about 2800 rpm, depending on wind and if you're going uphill or down. I try to keep mine out of 6th gear unless I'm at 70 mph or higher. Don't want to lug the motor.

Thanks Glazier, I hardly never run in 6th gear. When in 5th gear at 70-80 MPH that puts me about 3200 RPMs, 6th gear is 2400 - 2600, I don't remember exactly. Can someone define the lugging RPM? A buddy of mine does cruise in 6th gear and he says he is running 2200, which seems awfully low.

Mine seems to run it's best between 2800 to 3000 at cruising speed. IMO 2200 is to low and you would be lugging if in 6th gear.

My e glide runs about 3000 on the slab at 75. Its a five speed. It runs real happy there all day long.

I finally got on the bike today since I posted this and got a more accurate speed and RPM reading. At 70 MPH in 5th gear I am running 3000 RPM, 6th gear drops the RPMS to 2600. At 80 RPMS are at 3200 and 2800. What is the census of where I should run? I like to run at 3000 or above since the torque is very good, any less and it seems to lug.

Your input is appreciated!

On the highway 6th is great with speed over 70 mph. To maximize acceleration especially in dangerous situations 2500 - 3000 RPM is where you want to be. This will allow you to instantly accelerate. Lugging consists of running motor in to high of gear that prohibits instant acceleration. At 3000 RPM and match to proper gear selection you will never run the risk of lugging engine.....

That's well said, since there isn't an RPM that defines lugging, but too rich, too low power conditions. I have torque cams that come on at around 1800, but I sure don't try much accelleration there. 2200 at hwy speed would still be lugging mine unless I was going downhill or had a good tailwind.

Your owners manual has recommended shift speeds. That said, my guide for gears is to match speed to gear number. 3rd and below not so important. Never in 4th until 40 mph, 5th -50 mph, 6th- 60 mph. That is my minimum rpm, I believe my engine is happier with more rather than less rpm.

Your owners manual has recommended shift speeds. That said, my guide for gears is to match speed to gear number. 3rd and below not so important. Never in 4th until 40 mph, 5th -50 mph, 6th- 60 mph. That is my minimum rpm, I believe my engine is happier with more rather than less rpm.

You are absoulety correct Breeze. As I was taught, you need to keep a Harley up on the cam if you want it to run........

Back