free website stats program rpm's and shifting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rpm's and shifting

In thier infinate wisdom the MOCO put rev limiters in the "engines" and I use everyone 1 of them tho I ease the throttle up to it...not sure about the tri-glide (it came out after my experience with the MOCO) but my dyna is a steady 3k @ 70 mph, that's a 1-1 gear ratio (5th) I understand the 6th is between .81 and .86 - 1 that should read about 26-2700 rpm @ 70 keeping in mind I 'm speaking about the 2 wheelers

Ok...I've heard a lot of folks say it is not good to "lug" the motor. What, exactly, do you consider "lugging" and how low is too low. My 103" has all kinds of low-end torque and will glide down the road all day at 1500 turns and will accelerate up fine. What damage will the "lugging" supposedly cause?

In my opinion (also in post #3 of this thread) I never let my engine get below 2,000 rpm in gears 3 or higher. 1st and 2nd have the ratios to pull between 1,000 and 2,000. Higher gears don't. The engine WILL pull, but extreme lugging causes several inertia related problems, "brunneling" or metal hammering is one of them. I don't mind hitting the rev limiter occasionally, but I never lug it. Other opinions abound.

It wont hurt motor to run at 3000 rpm's, but it is extra wear and tear and lost mpg. Upsifting and overdrive(6th) is dependant on terrain, speed and weight and is subjective. For conversation: on the flat and just cruis'n I upshift between 2000-2200. If on an average hill, I will increase that by 200 rpm's. This technique is "The Geezer" mode, but a good balance. Many will tell you to run rpm's to 3000-3500, this will not hurt anything, but no gain. I shift into 6th when motor can turn at least 1900 rpm's or more, again on the flat. I never use 6th on a hill.

HD 6 speed tranny is still 1 to 1, only the SE trannys you order from catalog are true overdrives. 1500 in 6th is in my oppinion lugging the engine.

Back