free website stats program Route, next May, to ROLLING THUNDER ... | Harley Davidson Forums

Route, next May, to ROLLING THUNDER ...

Mickster

Hey Rollin' Thunder dudes, I'm considerin' scootin' down from West Michigan to Columbus OH then take Route 33 to Route 50 through W.Virginia into the DC area.

Anyone take that route exclusively? Pro's & Con's anyone??? :33:

I know it's a tad early but, already sufferin' them winter duldrums (heck, it ain't even winter yet!!) so thought I'd start lookin' at a map for my roadtrip next May, with my '09 EGC.

Thanks y'all ... HAPPY TURKEY DAY, from one to another!:D

Mickster :newsmile018:

There is a great Harley Dealer in Winchester Va. on Rt.50, about 1 hr from DC, and I think they stage a group ride in to DC for Rolling Thunder.

Awesome! Thanks "silentflyer", I appreciate it! I'll certainly give them a call before hand ... hope to see you there, or along the way!

Mickster.....hope you can make it down here...its definitely a sight to see and if you have the stamina, the ride itself is just downright awesome. I'm not sure of the roads from up your way through OH, but I am originally from Pittsburgh and live right outside of DC now. There are a number of ways and SilentFlyer hit on one of them. You could also take route 40 out of Uniontown, PA and follow it all the way to Hagerstown MD or so and then head south for a leisurely two lane road run. You could always catch Interstate 68 across Northern MD which is still fairly scenic but quicker. If you do take 68, I recommend 522 south from the end of 68 and down past Winchester HD on route 17 to route 66 into DC.....

Anyway, there are a multitude of routes and most are pretty scenic as its the backwoods of Southern PA, Northern MD, and Western and Northern VA....

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Thanks SilverSurfer ... apprecaite the info. I do plan for sure to do the run, just hopin' to approach DC from one direction, and depart another. Prolly will stick to the interstates goin' back North, but will have time enroute for some sight-seeing. :) THANKS!

Not a problem...keep me posted via PM on your plans and if you need anything, let me know. I could probably even find you a place to stay that is very biker friendly!!

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

I live in Columbus. Ill be home from working in Iraq on an R&R so My father and I will be heading to Rolling Thunder as well. I dont think we have finalized our route yet though. If we happen along the same way I hope to see you there.

Hey Sgthardass009 ~ I'd be HONORED to 1)ride to Rolling Thunder with you or 2)meet you there, for sure. I just heard last Friday that possibly as many as 20 bikers (!!!) :D, not including the local R.T. chapter, will be ridin' Eastbound towards DC leavin' Muskegon MI on Friday 22 May. If I ride with them, I don't know their route. If I don't ride with them, I was takin' roads South to Columbus, etc. etc., as I mentioned. Already have a bunk at the H.I./CrystalCity just across the pike from the Pentagon. We'll talk more. BE SAFE OVER THERE MY FRIEND ~ as a VietVet Combat Medic[67-68, I Corps], I pray for your safe return. :)

Attachments

• Old Guard Riders2.bmp
    136.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ChristmasHarley.jpg
    ChristmasHarley.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CVAMCMIsMA21530274-0001.jpg
    CVAMCMIsMA21530274-0001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 17
Hey Guys... I live in Charles Town, WV. Silentflyer is right about the Winchester Hd, we group there every year, riders leave in 2- groups of 150-200. 7am and 8am on Sunday. I can only hang one day, work ya know... Any way you run, it will be humbleing. Enjoy you ride, be safe

Rt 33 out of Columbus is a good 4 lane road most of the way to Athens Oh.

Lancaster is a bear to get through, but they have a nice bypass around there now. Rt. 50 is a good little twisty to take and gets hilly. But if I was going that would be an awesome route for views.

Back