free website stats program Round Key Fork Locks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Round Key Fork Locks

It's just a cheap lousy lock in a ridiculously stupid place. I took mine off altogether and replaced it with a Softail style switch on my dash. I had to drill a hole in the dash. i had the dash chromed while I was at it.

New_WG_switch.jpg

If you're looking for a cheap and easy fix while keeping the current switch.
I saw on another post that if you grind off the little nib on the key you can turn the key and pull it out and pocket it like I do with my new switch.

Here's the discussion on grinding off the nib so you can remove your key when turned on.

Simple fix to the "flopping key" on a Dyna

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Job on the Dash BigFoot! Looks Great.

Thanks for the Tips. I will try that!

Hoople

thanks for the kudos.

Just be careful and aware that the nib is there to help you align the key in the proper orientation when reinserting the key. Since I have not done that mod to the nib (no need now with my new switch) I'm not sure if this will cause difficulty when inserting your key. Try one key before you grind 'em all down.

Ricky,

There may be something wrong with my lock cylinder because it really can be a pain to lock my fork. Even just going from OFF to Ignition, the key will not always turn smooth like a lock should. You can feel that the shear point for the tumbles are not lined up.

Tks

My ignition lock for my 09 Road King is like that...sticks and now it's stuck between the lock and unlock and I am unable to remove the key or start the bike. I have a new one comming from the factory but will take 4-6 weeks plus delivery to germany...

My ignition lock for my 09 Road King is like that...sticks and now it's stuck between the lock and unlock and I am unable to remove the key or start the bike. I have a new one comming from the factory but will take 4-6 weeks plus delivery to germany...

Road King has a completely different ignition than on the Dyna in question. The Dyna has a fork neck ignition switch that the key remains in for operation.

If you got a new one coming anyway. Get the HD dealer to wrench the ignition into the on position. That way you can at least ride! Use the alarm system to disable the bike when not riding it. Keep an eye on it. I wouldn't stand for losing 4-6 weeks of riding.

THAT'S UN-ACCEPTABLE.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the kudos.

Just be careful and aware that the nib is there to help you align the key in the proper orientation when reinserting the key. Since I have not done that mod to the nib (no need now with my new switch) I'm not sure if this will cause difficulty when inserting your key. Try one key before you grind 'em all down.

One other thing that makes fork locks "stick", if the front wheel is not quite all the way to the left...can make locking or unlocking the bike with tension on the internal catch difficult...another reason why they should have the fork lock work all the way to the right as well when parked on an incline for those rare instances as well... :small3d015:

On my Street Bob, you have to turn the forks all the way to the left, then back to the right about a 1/4" or so to get everything aligned. Works that way locking and unlocking. Had the dealer service rep call me one day wanting to know if there was a problem as he could not unlock the fork to roll it inside.

Back