free website stats program rough engine getting worse | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rough engine getting worse

I think we should rewind a bit, the motor mount issue was to fix what the dealer assessed the first time around as a symptom and their "fix". What was the reason you took it in for service at 30,000 miles in the first place? If it was vibration or miss or fuel starvation, the additional stiffness of the new mounts would only exacerbate the symptom, not relieve the cause.

You could have had poor fueling (fuel tank filter clogged, fuel pump or hoses in the tank) or simply picked up bad gas that started the whole sequence in the first place. You could also have ignition problems or electronic sensor problems as early EFI system was probably fraght with pitfals as well. Sometimes it is just best to take a deep breath and stop going down a merry path of diagnostics that you were led down. When troubleshooting, simplifying and divide and conquer troubleshooting makes more sense than throwing hardware in with back and forth trips to the servicer.

Earlier than 0500? :D

I'm up by 4:30-5:00 every morning, but unlike you my sinapses aren't firing fast enough to keep up with you. I'm going to have to go in for an upgrade.:bigsmiley20:

;

Many service techs get a bum rap from the ones who throw parts at it trying to get it right, I take it reall personal as I look for cause and affect so I can relate to my customers problem and give them total resolve with in my powers, I dont have all the answers when I dont I tell them, and I do my best to steer them in the right direction. Im done ranting now
I agree with you. There are a few of us who take pride in diagnosing the actual cause of a problem and fixing it, not just throw parts at it till it is fixed. Sadly we are a definite minority. But it does raise my hackles to be lumped in the ("all techs are parts changers") category

Maybe this might clarify things a bit. As I twist the grip slowly the vibration i would normally get at idle gets stonger with higher rpm. Before I took it in for routine oil, plugs at regular 5000 mile intervals it ran sweet and smoothed out after idle. This is really screwing up my Harley experience!:small3d012::

Always look back at the last thing that was done before the problem started and you may find the answer. In this case the plug wires were tugged on and the plugs changed :s

NO, more like plug gap or a damaged wire from some gorilla tugging on them, loose plug tip where the wire snaps on or even a plug wire not pushed all the way on to the plug.

Back