free website stats program rough engine getting worse | Harley Davidson Forums

rough engine getting worse

BobbyNova

This is a long story.
Back on April 3,10 I took my 2005 electraglide in for 30,000 service. I got a call from dealer telling me my front motor mount and stabilizer were worn and should replace them. I've done all routine maintenance through H-D dealers by the way. When I went to pick up my scoot it ran rough at 1000 to 1300 rpm, I did'nt like the shaking so I took it back the next day. The lead tech came out and told me the mount was stiff and needed 1000 miles to soften up. I agreed and went about putting some miles on. At 31300 I took the bike back because now it shook from 1000 to 1500 rpm. They took it in and called me saying they checked all the mounts and the shaking was reduced. When I got the bike this time it shook from 1000 to 2000 rpm. They said they checked everything but the motor. I got some advice on the net to try another H-D dealer so I did that last week. They called me and said that the shaking was greatly reduced and come pick up the bike. When I got there and started my darling it shook thru the same range as before. I paid the $50.00 deduct from my seven year extended warr. and told the rep that the problem is definitly not a mount issue and it needs to be resolved. I've sprung about $200.00 at H-D for the same answer each time and a reminder that if they tear down the motor and nothing is found then I get stuck for the cost. The bike has been down for three months as far as Im concerned. It's very uncomfortable to ride at low rpm. The real sad part about all this is that it ran fine before I took it in on 4-3-2010.

After installing a True-Trac stabilizer kit, my bike shakes more than before but that is understandable because I stiffened it up. Same may go for you. I know you did not add a kit but I would think with a new mount and stabilizer, it would shake more. Hard to judge by how much shake you are talking about from where I am. I am also assuming the stabilizer link is adjusted properly.

I would think 1 of the dealerships has "relaxed" the mounting bolts/mounts and the engine is seeking it's own level. If your old mount was a gummy bear and shot, you may be chasing a ghost. (? maybe)

I am sure others may have more advice.

This may sound foolish but its happened to me so I'll through it out there.

A while back I had a fairing mount crack.When I started the bike, the 1st thing I noticed was how my guages shook.My 1st thought was a bad motor mount.After a little investigation and some reading I found the problem.

Sometimes I know my eyes convince my brain to believe what I see as opposed to what I feel.Just a thought.

I Wouldnt let them touch it! H-D dealer techs are nothing but parts changers ! What area do you live in? Im assuming the bike is a EFI model! Is it Stock? What type of fuel are you running? the next thing is did they install new mounts wrong or that were defective?

Going on what you said the H-D techs did...is there a good independant shop you can talk to about whats going on in your area ?

anyway when the motor is running.....does it run smooth up to about 3-4000 RPM?

H-D dealer techs are nothing but parts changers !

Wow PanHead that is a strong statement. They all can't be parts changes. I understand how you feel because I am leery of all types of service guys, but some of them have got to be just like you or I. :p:p

Wow PanHead that is a strong statement. They all can't be parts changes. I understand how you feel because I am leery of all types of service guys, but some of them have got to be just like you or I. :p:p

Many service techs get a bum rap from the ones who throw parts at it trying to get it right, I take it reall personal as I look for cause and affect so I can relate to my customers problem and give them total resolve with in my powers, I dont have all the answers when I dont I tell them, and I do my best to steer them in the right direction. Im done ranting now

It's a 2005 ElectraGlide Classic. I'm no mecneck but I can tell it's not a mount problem. It's got fuel injection and is completely stock. About two years ago it started making noise in the primary, so I took it in and they found a loose compensator nut. I really dont understand what it does. Talking w/ motor heads they said I should have H-D look at that. I mentioned this when I took it in last time. All they did was fix broken fairing mounts and rechecked mounts. I started it and got it to 1300 rpm and the whole bike shook the same as when I took it in.

Can you share your fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are posting here (vibration) is a very difficult thing to isolate without "hands on" time.

The mount that was replaced was no doubt the upgraded mount and they are stiffer and in turn transmit more vibrations to the frame and rider.

What you are feeling could also be an exhaust that is contacting the frame or an engine problem like a crank run out issue. Until you get a mechanic that cares to get into it and isolate the problem, you are fighting a loosing battle IMO with the dealer you are using now.

You may get better results asking for a factory rep to address the issue being you are getting no place with the dealer/mechanics.
You are paying the deductible with no results and that wouldn't please me any either.

My 05 RG began to shake at about 20,000mi. I took it into the HD dealer and was told that the front motor mount was shot and that it would be replaced free of charge as it was under some type of manuf. defect. They replaced it with a new design motor mount. My bike shook with the bad mount and did not shake with the new one. Don't get me wrong it still shakes when sitting at idle, but once I start moving it smoothes out. I have added a rear stabilizer and I have not noticed any more shaking than before. Somewhere in the forum I think that Glider was the one that gave the motor mount problem and solution.

What you are posting here (vibration) is a very difficult thing to isolate without "hands on" time.

The mount that was replaced was no doubt the upgraded mount and they are stiffer and in turn transmit more vibrations to the frame and rider.

What you are feeling could also be an exhaust that is contacting the frame or an engine problem like a crank run out issue. Until you get a mechanic that cares to get into it and isolate the problem, you are fighting a loosing battle IMO with the dealer you are using now.

You may get better results asking for a factory rep to address the issue being you are getting no place with the dealer/mechanics.
You are paying the deductible with no results and that wouldn't please me any either.

Once again Glider comes in ahead of me. I'm going to have to start getting up earlier.:bigsmiley32:

Back