free website stats program Rough , choppy ride ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough , choppy ride ????

06rdking

Banned
I have done a search and found alot of info but no one as said what to do about a real stiff ride. dose adjusting the rear shock change the firmness of the ride? if it dose how do I go about doing it?

Noticed: Your ride is a Road King, yet you posted under "Softails". Each of these bikes are set up with different rear shocks. Depending on which style you're talking about. One has shocks on the side(possibly "air adjusted) and the softail has shocks mounted horizontally under the frame. Best to check your manual and see how best to adust the ones you're asking about... But yes they can be softened up to a more comfortable ride.

The roadking has air shocks, the valve stem is on the left side. Open up the saddlebag lid for easier access.
HD sells a mini pump for this, i think it is $ 50.

I think it is 10 to 15 psi for solo, and 45 to 50 for 2up

come on guys cant a person have more than one harley? yes my avitar is a rdking, I also have a spotster, but my question was about my 97 softail custom. I was just wanting to soften up my ride just alittle. it has not been lowered it still has the factory shocks under her. thanks.

What about air pressure in rear tire and adjusting rear shock for a softer ride.

You might try this Self Help Tip on adjusting the Softail Rear Shock PDF...

How to Adjust Soft Tail Rear Shock & Lowering Kit - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Of course it is REALLY handy if you have a motorcycle jack and a bit of patience with the proper tools, so ready the entire procedure, gather the materials and alot at least an hour or two as even the simplist things end up taking longer than "slapping the ol' spanner and adjusting it"...! :D

Back