free website stats program rotor runout tolerance? | Harley Davidson Forums

rotor runout tolerance?

cyberfish2

While I had my '09 Street Glide on the rack to change the oil, I spun the front wheel and noticed a slight drag on the rotors in one spot. I have a metal lathe, so I mounted the rotors, and measured the runout - .006 on the right one and .002 on the left one. Stock rotors are double disk ground hot rolled steel plate (I was a tool&die maker for 40 years). I mention this because rotors are easily deformed. They should be removed during a tire change to prevent being bent.
Careful tweaking reduced the .006 to .002, not perfect, but better. I'm pretty sure I can use them like this without too much additional wear on the pads, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the runout tolreance is?:bigsmiley28:

Thanks for that info. How do you have that lift set up in your garage? Looks like a hoist and table? Nice working height.

I brought mine in for a check and 1 was .008 and within HD tolerance but the other was at .012 and they replaced it... I've been told by my indy that stock rotors are junk. Time to do more reading regarding alternatives.. In any case, that much out makes for very difficult slowing... especially at slow speed...

Thanks for that info. How do you have that lift set up in your garage? Looks like a hoist and table? Nice working height.

Harley Davidson Community
I started out with a motorcycle floor jack, but it got in the way for oil changes, and seemed a bit unstable.
I built the stand out of 1" angle iron, welded all the joints, and cut wood 2X4's to fit wherever needed for the top of the stand.
I spanned two of the rafters with two 4X4's braced in with long screws, and put a long eye bolt in the center, thru the ceiling, so I could attach a chain hoist. To be on the safe side, I welded the eye bolt where it circled around to meet the shaft.
I have 4 nylon straps to lift the bikes, two for the handle bars, and two fit around the top of the shocks.
This is a very stable, fairly versatile, setup. I put Fumoto valves in place of the oil plugs, so changing oil just takes attaching a hose, and turning the valve handle. The oil filter is easier to get to with the stand, and I have both wheels clear for tire changes.
I'd be happy to post more detailed pix if there is any interest.:D

My question is. What is the runnout of a brand new HD rotor? My bet is that its not pretty.
Having said that, Smitty posted some time ago about using the HD floating rotors and he was happy with them (try the search above). Other brands are very pricey and Chinese also. Russell makes a reasonably priced, albeit Chinese, rotor.

I like to see your lift setup. Very curious indeed.

Bodeen

Not sure I would agree that stock rotors are junk put a few miles on mine.
I did change my last set to HD floating rotors, The main reason I did it was looks.
Floating rotors IMO are a good idea if yours are due for a change.

Ya like I said, I need to study the differences and figure out what to do because mine seem to be out again... I have had some close calls with brakes ON... We'll see...

Back