free website stats program Rode yesterday & ran out of gas | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rode yesterday & ran out of gas

I have a 1999 Electra Glide Classic. It has a petcock and I have been thankful for that quite a few times. I know I have a half gallon of gas when it sputters, I try not to let it get that low.

I also reset my trip odometer at each fill up, I know I can get 160± miles around town and 200± if we are traveling on the open road.

The most I have refilled with was 4.89 gallons. Whew!:tounge

i never trust the gauge. i always go by mileage and reset the trip at each fill. went for a ride 2 weeks ago and filled at the start. mileage was 40+. ran down to Washington Co., MD on the slab and i was out of gas before we got there. mileage went to 34@75mph. gauge was showing 1/4 and bike took 4.2 in a 4.9. so i never kno what's in the tank and only use the gauge as a reference not an actual. '01 rk-police

A lot of local guys are packing one of these in their bag now, it's like putting on a rain suite and it won't rain, carry one of these in you saddlebag and you'll never run out of gas LOL, well at lease you don't have far to go to get gas. I think I read they even sell them at Sears now.
gas-can.jpg

Frankly, having a job and being able to commute to work on a motorcycle is the best in my book. I like having and enjoying it ALL, in these hard times, THAT is the ultimate...!

As for more fuel capacity, a bigger tank AND reserve tank...is what I did as soon as I got the Sporty first and would consider Chop's suggestion for the 2nd. It is an inexpensive solution with easy on/off installion if you are seriously considering long distances between fillups.

A lot of local guys are packing one of these in their bag now, it's like putting on a rain suite and it won't rain, carry one of these in you saddlebag and you'll never run out of gas LOL, well at lease you don't have far to go to get gas. I think I read they even sell them at Sears now.
gas-can.jpg

I will check on that and post our prices, Thanks for the heads up Chopper, I don't get out on the sales floor much:s

There has been a couple of times that took off on a trip, thinking I only have 20-30 miles on this tank & thought I would run out & did not. Came close, but it did me good. Not sure why it did it to me this time but when the light comes on from now on, I will get gas. I have contemplated that gas carrier before & think that would be a wise choice. Actually looking at this one & the MSR Fuel bottle MSR Fuel Bottles from Backcountry.com , but the biggest is 30 oz but would fit into one of those saddle bag leather drink carrier pouch Saddlebag Guard Bag and Water Bottle Holder - Road King Classic Concho | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Toby

The light came on & I was 20 miles from home, decided to get gas later. It has always had 1 gallon when I filled up after the light goes on, so I thought no problem. But the bike has been running poorly & I think the 1 year old engine temp sensor is bad, it has not been liking the cold (any thing below 60*) & it was 36* & had a heck of a head wind. Needless to say, 36* is cold when you have to take off your glove to lock it up so you can go get some gas. Still a good ride. Now I need to start tearing it down to see what is up with it.

You might think about throwing a REDA Gas Can in one of your bags. That way you have just under a gallon as back up. Check here for details, but I think Chopper carries them:

Reda Gas Can by Reda Innovations

Chops Garage - Reda Gas Cans

TQ

Last edited:
I carry a one and a half gal. tank in my T/g got it years ago in the chainsaw section at Home Depot, Its leak and spill proof, I never had any fumes leak out.
Also the spout stows inside the tank.

That funky looking gas can is kind of cool. I think I will look into getting one of them. There are a few trips where the gas light came on and I got a bit nervous. A few times on my way to Sturgis and back. But the most recient was last year on my way to the U.P. of Mich. I was somewhere near Grayling/Gaylord area and the exits seemed to be 5-10 miles appart. I was passing army national guard convoys and would give them a thumbs up or salute [kind of a thanks for your service type of thing]. I thought to myself this wouldn't be good if I ran out of gas and was stranded on the side of the road and several minutes latter all the convoys passed me. Lucky for me I finally came to an exit that had a gas station addvertised and even the station was several miles off the freeway. I think that's the closest I came to running out.

i think waiting for the fuel lite to come on and then going even further before getting gas (unless your between citys) will eventually cause your fuel pump to stop working due to overheating. the fuel pump runs at about 55-60 psi
and when there is little fuel in the tank to keep the pump "cool" then it will "burn up" eventually. just my opinion roll-on and throttle-up.

Back