free website stats program Rode a Goldwing.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rode a Goldwing..

I test rode one a few years ago before I bought my Electra Glide. It was nice on the highway, but way too awkward for me at slow speed. I couldn't touch ground flat footed either. A couple riding buddies have 'Wings and love them.

I find this thread interesting. On a Harley site we seem to give the Goldwing respect as a nice well made bike, just not for us.
You'll never hear those kind of props about a Harley on a Goldwing site. Just constant disrespect. Could it be that Harley owners are just that much more secure in their ownership in being able to recognize other brands without trashing them? You guys make me proud sometimes.

I find this thread interesting. On a Harley site we seem to give the Goldwing respect as a nice well made bike, just not for us.
You'll never hear those kind of props about a Harley on a Goldwing site. Just constant disrespect. Could it be that Harley owners are just that much more secure in their ownership in being able to recognize other brands without trashing them? You guys make me proud sometimes.
Sounds like you made a visit to gl1800riders.com, they can get pretty raw about the topic. They fuss about it on an almost weekly basis and it gets old.

I have a plan for a Sportster trike (of course money is the problem) project.

The Boys that own Victorys are a bit insecure as well. Just not sold of that look. To old I guess.

Honda (IMHO) makes the best motorcycle as far as all round price and quality. In the 1960's Honda sold more motorcycles than any other manufacturer in the world. I've owned two of them in my younger yrs and one Triumph (also a good bike). The GW is a strong running well built bike and unfortunately it is Honda's "only" real touring option. If they would offer some OEM bag, luggage and shield options to the VTX models they would have a great touring machine that appeals more to the V-Twin crowd, but they don't. If you want that on a VTX you have to hunt the aftermarket and mod it yourself.

The things I don't like about the GW is, it's too expensive (nearly as much as the high end HD Ultras). It doesn't really look like a motorcycle with the stationary front fairing that does not turn with the bars. And every PGR rider I've met that rides one says, that even though they are dependable as the day is long, you feel like you are sitting atop a huge bull with that wide engine between your legs.

GW is a good bike, just feel like if Honda had Harley's marketing design folks on board they would sell more bikes. Kinda like Smitty used to say, the GW is boring.

Now the Kawasaki Nomad, well that's another story, and hopefully I will own one of those in the future. Can't afford a new Ultra and starting to get a bit tired of hearing about cheap crank bearing failures, compensators issues with no recalls when I think about the amount of money we pay for Harleys.

I love my current Harley Dyna, but it rides a bit rough for me as I get older. A new Ultra is just totally out of my buying ability. My stepson has had a Nomad now for yrs and I love his. While my Dyna is still in the low mileage thinking of getting rid of it before all those HD issue things start showing up.

There I said it, well you know me, I'm a strange fellow to figure sometimes. I probably just comitted Harley forum suicide, but that's what I've been thinking now for sometime.

It doesn't really look like a motorcycle with the stationary front fairing that does not turn with the bars.

I'm sure you're about to hear from all our Road Glide fans!

Can't afford a new Ultra and starting to get a bit tired of hearing about cheap crank bearing failures, compensators issues with no recalls when I think about the amount of money we pay for Harleys.

Don't forget - it's the nature of an online forum to mainly focus on problems folks are having. This doesn't mean that it's happening throughout the brand or even within a certain model line. Thousands of us are riding bikes with hardly any problems at all!

================================================

Beau, you speak the truth. In a locl Powersport store a few months back and got into a conversation about a Kawasaki Vulcan with an old guy. We were having a pleasent conversation, discussing road trips, motor oils and restaurants. Got to the point in the conversation where he asked what I ride....pointed out the door and told him .."that Harley"..he squinted his eyes at me and, without saying a word walked away. Not another word was spoken. I actually started laughing as he walked away..couldn't believe it.

IMO most guys don't care what you ride, why Harleys bothered this old guy so much, I couldn't tell you. I don't have the time or the inclination to exclude anyone simply based on what brand they ride.

Back