free website stats program Rockerbox gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

Rockerbox gasket

Hello everyone, been smelling oil recently when i ride, found a little oil stain on back rocker box, my question is; how hard is it to replace rocker gasket and should i replace front as well? I do my own wrench turning on bike (oil cooler install, oil change,etc.) but I dont want to get in over my head. is this something fairly easy or should I let the professionals handle it. 02 Roadking EFI. Thanks for your help in advance...............Dave

Hello everyone, been smelling oil recently when i ride, found a little oil stain on back rocker box, my question is; how hard is it to replace rocker gasket and should i replace front as well? I do my own wrench turning on bike (oil cooler install, oil change,etc.) but I dont want to get in over my head. is this something fairly easy or should I let the professionals handle it. 02 Roadking EFI. Thanks for your help in advance...............Dave

1 d u have a manual, it will be handy for dis assembly as well as assembly. H D wants it removed in a counter torque pattern so it does mot warp, not a very hard job, may have to lower the motor some to get them off pay attention to the torque and u should be fine and use a quality gasket:s

I do have a manual, not much riding season left, would be ok to ride rest of season and tear down over winter or should I not ride till fixed.

I do have a manual, not much riding season left, would be ok to ride rest of season and tear down over winter or should I not ride till fixed.

Can you live weith the smell o burning oil and how much is it leaking? Oil can have a nasty way of tarnishing chrome and staining it also your ride you decide but I rode my 97 FLHT 1 year before fixing the leak, just keep an eye on the oil level, Jack:s

I remove my gas tank, then use a Modified allen head on the tight to frame bolt.... cutting off the short L end of allen wrench to about 5/8-3/4 "...(memory?)

I think that Bolt HAS to be into the rocker box Before you replace it to the top of engine (too long a bolt and too TIGHT of a place,,, closest to the rear frame) "Before" you put it back together OR the long bolts WON"T drop in past the frame....

Other than that it is easy.....

Use Proper tightening sequence and torque --stock singles from HD on the gaskets.

The BIG shop HD manual is what you should have for your bike.
Many things it will show you to save $$ and be comfortable doing it your self..

I would only replace the Leaking one.... leave well enough alone is my motto.

signed....BUBBIE

I think Bubbie has the right idea, "modified shortened wrenches" look like a winner, that area is tight. And it is easy to see that you have to have those long bolts in there because no room to "drop 'em" into place. Reminds me of valve clearance shim changeouts on my old Kantana...no joy with that sporty perimeter frame in the way on an inline 4 cylinder, Japanese bikes are a "marvel" of dense packaging...some memories are best left that!

I think Bubbie has the right idea, "modified shortened wrenches" look like a winner, that area is tight. And it is easy to see that you have to have those long bolts in there because no room to "drop 'em" into place. Reminds me of valve clearance shim changeouts on my old Kantana...no joy with that sporty perimeter frame in the way on an inline 4 cylinder, Japanese bikes are a "marvel" of dense packaging...some memories are best left that!

Matco Tools has a neat Wrench for the rocker Boxes may take a look at it:s

thanks for the help guys, I have the next month off of work (back surgery) I have the Clymer Manual and the way it sounds, its pretty easy, so I guess I can handle this one. again, Thanks for the response. I know I can always count on this site and its members to help show the way.....Dave

thanks for the help guys, I have the next month off of work (back surgery) I have the Clymer Manual and the way it sounds, its pretty easy, so I guess I can handle this one. again, Thanks for the response. I know I can always count on this site and its members to help show the way.....Dave

Good luck and let us know how it goes, the back surgery too OUCH

removing the tank is the biggest pain of the whole job. Make sure you use a torque wrench and follow the torque pattern listed in the service manual. Piece of cake....

Back