free website stats program Rocker Shimming / Valve Train Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker Shimming / Valve Train Noise

crow

I got a quick question. I have seen the posts about shimming rockers. My question is this. Are you shimming the rocker arm assembly for side to side movement? If so where can I get shims?
I am chasing valve train noise. My bike was whisper quiet before the conversion to the new roller chain with an Andrews 21N cams and new B lifters. After the conversion there was a lot more noise. I reinstalled the original lifter and the noise went away and stayed quiet until about a month ago. We were at Ohio Bike Week it was HOT and while riding to Sandusky I noticed valve train noise. More noise than I have heard in a long time. After enjoying the music downtown we were heading back to the hotel. When I started my bike there was a hard bang from lifter area .There was no other noise bike ran fine but had the newly acquired valve train I heard on the way there. The next morning same sound at start up. I have not heard the bang noise since but I do have the valve train noise I did not have before.
I am thinking I might have a slightly bent pushrod does this sound plausible. I am thinking I had a lifter bleed down that caused the bang I heard at start up and perhaps now the bent rod. I just bought a new set of Comp Cam 850-1 lifters and am going to buy a new set of pushrods.
I asked about the shimming since I will have the top end apart I wanted to check clearance and shim if needed. I checked the end play last time and it was within the .025 tolerance.
Thanks

Back