free website stats program rocker noise | Harley Davidson Forums

rocker noise

fattyboy

Has anybody had this problum, switched from inj. to carb. on 2001 road king 95 kit,woods cams s&s gear drive,well took it and had it dyno'd loaded on trl. took home 2hr. drive, when i got it home i fired it up and one of the rocker's was making a very loud noise shut it down restarted still their let it run and it went away after about a minute,Drove it ran good, will start it in the morning to see if it makes noise again.It's never done this before,Any Idea's!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody had this problum, switched from inj. to carb. on 2001 road king 95 kit,woods cams s&s gear drive,well took it and had it dyno'd loaded on trl. took home 2hr. drive, when i got it home i fired it up and one of the rocker's was making a very loud noise shut it down restarted still their let it run and it went away after about a minute,Drove it ran good, will start it in the morning to see if it makes noise again.It's never done this before,Any Idea's!!!!!!!!!

IF IT ISN'T? oil pump OR you haven't done this(replaced the pump with a HIGH VOLUME one) it would OF been a good IDEA to improve on the MARGINAL stock oil pump in the early twin cam.... MUCH TALKED ABOUT in the forum..... KIT shows newer pump with the newer cam plate.....
I used a HIGH volume fueling oil pump and delkron cam plate, when i converted to GEAR DRIVE. ME, I FUGURE THIS TO BE A MUST DO.....

I do believe that it's not pumping enough oil to the lifter,,,,, or bad lifter,,,,,,

YOU say rocker... to me OIL, or LACK OF IT ,,, DOESN'T make the rocker noisy..... ?? Maybe lifter noise...If it is collapsed all the way. IT WILL MAKE A LOT OF NOISE.. then finally PUMP UP and be okay for a while...

HOW many times has it been run or started on THE new motor.... IS this something NEW after a lot of time running the motor?

was the OIL PRESSURE checked AT TIME OF REBUILD?
I personally would not run the engine UNTIL I checked the oil pressure when started the next time.....USE a gauge to see the cold pressure.. 40 lbs @ cold start and at 12/1500 RPM...

MORE LATER after you check and see and get back with a little more information..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie, I have done all the oil pump and cam plate thing when it was rebuilt,It has never done this before, I will start it in morning and see if it does it again, It's just weird that all i did was have it dyno'd.And let it sit for awhile and cool down. Then start it and it makes a clatter for about a minute then go's away. I will let you no when i start it in the morning,Thank's.

Thanks Bubbie, I have done all the oil pump and cam plate thing when it was rebuilt,It has never done this before, I will start it in morning and see if it does it again, It's just weird that all i did was have it dyno'd.And let it sit for awhile and cool down. Then start it and it makes a clatter for about a minute then go's away. I will let you no when i start it in the morning,Thank's.

DYNO runs the motor hard,,,, and HOT? when put away?

by saying you have done all the oil pump and cam plate thing, Do you mean the NEW HIGH VOLUME oil pump and the MATCHING cam plate...??

also IT IS NOT UNCOMMON for the high lift cam to be setting on the lifter and MAKING it LOSE the oil and it may TAKE a while to RE-PUMP UP.....

I see you are on line so I will wait for a response..

signed....BUBBIE

I'm sure you used new lifters when you installed the cams, I have seen them get a air bubble or pocket in them after the bikes been ran, one time had a bike trailered into the dealership and took a air hose with a shop rag and started the bike, then applied a little air pressure to the oil tank and it pushed the bubble out of the system and never done it again, hopefully that was the problem and it just pasted the air bubble out.

Back