free website stats program Rocker Lockers | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker Lockers

dolt

I thought I saw a post on these but did a search and couldn't find it, so I am posting the information on this product and apologize if this is a repeat post.

There have been several DIY options to lock rocker shafts; roll pins, set screws, .30 cal casings, etc. The Rocker Lockers will work if the valve train noise is the result of the shaft rotating. Only issue I see is that they will make shaft removal a bit more difficult; the bushings will have to be removed or the shafts tapped or pressed out. I think it is a worthwhile improvement. Not sure if it will work or is required for aftermarket billet support plates like the Vulcan or Woods support plates.

Rocker Lockers - YouTube

Dan.1977P, if you are still getting that tick, you might want to take a look at your rocker shafts for witness marks as shown in the video.

I am and when I pulled the rear cylinder cover off, I was able to slide the exhaust rocker arm shaft out and there was considerable end play in the rocker arm as well. Put some licktite on the shaft in the hopes it would hold until I was able to pull the tank and use these to do it right. I have some VThunder 850-1 lifters in the mail that I will install first since I should have replaced the lifters when I did the cams. I know it's not a time bomb but I really hate extraneous noise.
If you look hard enough, you can see the oval on the bolt and in my other thread, I have all the pictures and it's pretty obvious that everything is loose so we will see.

Attachments

• IMG_3852[1].jpg
    IMG_3852[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 37
I am and when I pulled the rear cylinder cover off, I was able to slide the exhaust rocker arm shaft out and there was considerable end play in the rocker arm as well. Put some licktite on the shaft in the hopes it would hold until I was able to pull the tank and use these to do it right. I have some VThunder 850-1 lifters in the mail that I will install first since I should have replaced the lifters when I did the cams. I know it's not a time bomb but I really hate extraneous noise. If you look hard enough, you can see the oval on the bolt and in my other thread, I have all the pictures and it's pretty obvious that everything is loose so we will see.

When you get around to installing the Rocker Lockers, check the rocker shaft for witness marks as well as the bolt. If there are no witness marks on the shaft, even though there are witness marks on the bolt, the results from installing the Rocker Lockers may not be as dramatic but still, for $15, definitely worth a try.

I would not follow the suggestion given in the video to use the bolts to pull the Rocker Locker back up into the bolt bore if it extends out the bottom of the plate. Use the clamp method.

Also do not be too concerned about shaft end play. Many have, myself included, shimmed rocker shaft clearance with very little results. Rocker shaft end play must be out to .025" or more to see any positive results from reducing any noise from shaft end play. If end play is less than .015", don't waste your time messing with it.

When you get around to installing the Rocker Lockers, check the rocker shaft for witness marks as well as the bolt. If there are no witness marks on the shaft, even though there are witness marks on the bolt, the results from installing the Rocker Lockers may not be as dramatic but still, for $15, definitely worth a try.

I would not follow the suggestion given in the video to use the bolts to pull the Rocker Locker back up into the bolt bore if it extends out the bottom of the plate. Use the clamp method.

Also do not be too concerned about shaft end play. Many have, myself included, shimmed rocker shaft clearance with very little results. Rocker shaft end play must be out to .025" or more to see any positive results from reducing any noise from shaft end play. If end play is less than .015", don't waste your time messing with it.

Yeah, I thought it was odd that he even suggested using the bolt to press the sleeve when I suspect anyone willing to open up their engines will likely have a c-clamp lying around.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the shaft that was loose has some good witness marks.

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 36
Yeah, I thought it was odd that he even suggested using the bolt to press the sleeve when I suspect anyone willing to open up their engines will likely have a c-clamp lying around.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the shaft that was loose has some good witness marks.

Looks like you have a little project in your future. Let us know how it goes; it will be the first hands on Rocker Locker install report.:s

There is a new design out on these. They're now slightly tapered for ease of installation. I put a set in the big motor Fatboy and there is a very noticeable difference.

I started the tapered side in, pushed with my thumb and finished with the handle of a screwdriver.
WAP.gif

Yeah, super old thread but I said I would followup once I did the install. Just got around to it and the ticking is still there. At my next oil change, I may drop some new lifters in there and readjust the pushrods. The tick has been there in 120+ degree days, 10k+ miles, and hasn't changed so I may just deal with it instead of doing more work and risk making something worse.

Back