free website stats program ROCKER C Rearwheel bearings blow-up | Harley Davidson Forums

ROCKER C Rearwheel bearings blow-up

At only 32.000kms the right hand rearwheel bearing gave up in a sudden spectacular "blow-up" shooting out the steelballs at the car I was overtaking at that moment.

The design of this assembly provides for no simmering or anyhting that can protect the bearing from rain etc...you can actually see the RH bearing directly...and relaying on the ball-bearings own built-in seals ( 2RS) is simply not enough. Also I suspect the bearings to be low-quality chinese bearings on top of that : they have no international markings on them (ISO) but are marked with HD9278 and F-559019.
Nevertheless having measured the bearings ( both sides are identical ) the ident is 6205-2Z ( or 2RS) and dimensions D52xd25x15.

Actually for a bike this heavy..and built for longdistance....the bearings are, regardless of quality, too small.

I've now fitted SKF quality bearings AND added a Simmerring at the RH bearing ( the one at the discbrake, very exposed).

Sounds like a good idea to fix a failure that shouldn't have happened.
Rocker up and running again.
I've added a simmering 38x52x7mm each side, a direct fit with no need for mods....now WHY did HD not do this??? Cost for me 5,5€. ! Now the very exposed rh bearing is fully protected....and with additional grease in the space between bearing and sealing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_112022.jpg
    IMG_20200804_112022.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
I've added a simmering 38x52x7mm each side, a direct fit with no need for mods....now WHY did HD not do this??? Cost for me 5,5€. ! Now the very exposed rh bearing is fully protected....and with additional grease in the space between bearing and sealing.

Wow that could have been such a disaster, glad you got it all fixed.

HD uses the cheapest parts they can for years but charges premium prices. It's no wonder they are in trouble with the lack of sales.

Back