free website stats program Rocker boxes | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker boxes

bikecurious

So, I'm wanting to paint my rocker boxes...
I'm about to take them off, scuff them up a bit with some sand paper then hit them with some heat resistant bbq paint..
the paint says it can withstand up to 1200 degrees...
I believe this is enough resistance, but any input here?
also, will I need to replace any kind of gasket when I reinstall? or can I just bolt them back on?

new gaskets so u dont have to do it again. i would use stove piant they use on wood stoves. my stove gets hotter than ur heads will get. paint stays on it J/M/O

Do you have a manual for the proper removal sequence and the torque sequence, if not I would get one, They can warp pretty easy:s

If you are refering to the BBQ paint by Rustoleum, you are not going to like the results long term. The BBQ paint is a vey specialized paint and needs to get hot (over 400 degrees F) in order to cure properly or it will oxidize and turn grey and flake off pretty quickly. Most stove paint is the same type of coating and wll have similar problems. I dont think the rocker boxes get anywhere close to 400 degrees. You'll have better luck with a high temp engine enamel. VHT makes a very good one, this type of engine enamel cures at 200 degrees F and resist temps of 500 degrees F which is plenty for rocker boxes, and they hold up well to oil and gas. Here's a link to the one I've used:
Amazon.com: VHT SP130 Engine Enamel Flat Black Can - 11 oz.: Automotive

Back