free website stats program Rocker box noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker box noise

dd1228

I have this noise coming from the rocker box that sounds like tappets-but it isn't. I ran the engine with the cover off to see if there was enough oil getting up there, which there was, however, the noise was air coming from that breather thing in the middle of the rockers. It was very loud and pulsated with rpm. Is this supposed to be so noisy or do I have something in upside down. I just did a top end overhaul and with the gasket kit came the new filter material for that breather. Any ideas?????

When you say new filter material did you replace the breather as well? Harley came out with an updated metal breather to replace the black plastic one that came stock with your bike. The new breather is metal and can open up so you can replace or clean the butterfly valve.

If you still have the black one make sure the bolts are torqued properly and they are facing the correct way. If you did get the metal breathers they come with new bolts so make sure you used them instead of the old bolts. Also make sure the butterfly valve was installed properly.

Thanks for the reply; yes I do have the new metal ones, but I can't remember what screws I used or if I installed the valve the correct way. I guess I better tear it apart and see what I might have done wrong, and get some advise on how to correctly install this stuff.

They install the same direction as the old breathers. Separate the two metal pieces and install the butterfly valve. Then use the red sponge filter and place below the breather, it sits between the breather and the rocker assembly. Then just torque it down with the new bolts. I'm pretty sure the new bolts are shorter than the old ones which would make it possible to obtain the correct torque. Also it is almost impossible to fit a torque wrench on the breather for the rear cylinder because the frame is in the way (at least it is on my bike). You will probably need to use a torque adapter to torque properly.

Back