free website stats program Rocker Box Breathers | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker Box Breathers

dd1228

I did a top end rebuild on my 02 FLHTC with 87k miles. After reassembly I heard a noise that sounded like tappets. I removed the front rocker box cover and started the engine. It wasn't the tappets, but pulsating air from the breather valve. It was very loud. These are the newer style breathers that came in the gasket kit I bought from the dealer. They are metal, the old ones were plastic. So my question is, is this normal, or did I perhaps install them incorrectly?

hey dd, the metal ones will be louder than the plastic. if your old ones look ok put em back in and see if it quiets the problem. it did on the one I just got done with....critter

I just installed the metal breathers in my bike a few months ago. I didn't notice any extra noise from the area but, then again my pipes are so loud I doubt I could hear it anyway:bigsmiley11: Are you sure you installed the valve properly? I suppose it's possible that it didn't get seated correctly....

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I threw out the old plastic ones. I guess I'll take them apart and see if I did something wrong with the install.

Hey dd1228 I think you are in luck.

I happen to have an extra set of those breather umbrella valves--unused AND I live near you---Phoenix that is. I have a bit older breather boxes--1992 so if you find they will fit you can have them. Send me a PM letting me know where you live and maybe later tonight I can bring them your way.

By the way, I NEVER throw anything away until I have an extra or it several weeks after the job...you never know when you when you want to look at the old part for things like wear or just the original design. I'm thinking of getting a larger garage :s

Thanks a lot CatWoman, it's very nice of you to offer. This is a great forum. Your engine is an Evo and mine is a Twin Cam, I wonder if they would fit. Someone else on this forum is in Phx and is trying to get a ride going on April 21st, I think. Maybe we could meet there. It will be the McDonalds on Carefree Hwy and I17. I think it's at 10am., I'd have to double check.

Back