free website stats program Rocker Box Breather? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker Box Breather?

stray dog

03 RK 31K MI.

I couldn't ignore a leaking/weeping rear rocker box cover anymore so it's off and will get a new gasket. Front is good, didn't plan to mess with it.

My question is about the filter element/breather. Should I be replacing it while I'm in there? Is this really a maintenance item? If so do I do front also?

All opinions welcome.

HD03FLHP003.gif
For the low cost I would replace both and have peace of mind JMO

I am with jack on this one if you have a problem in the rocker box get a gasket set and change them all at the same time otherwise you may be re visiting the job in the near future

Brian

Jack, you're pretty quick with those diagrams! Thanks

It also gives me piece of mind to leave front rocker cover alone since it doesn't leak. :D Youre right tho. :newsmile07:

Do these breathers get gunked up and or wear out? What kind of mileage are they good for?

I am with jack on this one if you have a problem in the rocker box get a gasket set and change them all at the same time otherwise you may be re visiting the job in the near future

Brian

OK guys I get the hint. I'll do that.

Thought a chance you guys might say there's no need.

Thanks for your time

There have been times in the past that I have perhaps not always followed best practice maintenance and later regretted it so my advice is given through previous experience

Brian

Although the umbrella valve and filter are not scheduled maintenance items, the service manual says to discard and replace if removed for any reason. The whole kit to replace is less than $20 per cyl.

In agreement with the rest. "While your in there".

The early head breathers were plastic and would warp over time. Not sure what year, '04 I think, breathers were changed to aluminum; no more warping. In '10 the head breathers changed to the new "stamped" breather; supposed to be more efficient. Some claim replacing the old with the new stamped breathers has minimized or eliminated oil in the air filter.

IIRC, the older breathers are now "obsolete" and even if you order by the old part number, you will get the new breathers. Not sure about that though so check Ronnies part finder and get the PN for the head breathers in '10 up model to be sure you get the new stamped breathers.:coffee

Well, did me some learnin' !
This is for amusement only :) Don't do this at home kids.

Although the umbrella valve and filter are not scheduled maintenance items, the service manual says to discard and replace if removed for any reason. The whole kit to replace is less than $20 per cyl.

1. I thought the umbrella valve Breeze was talking about was a valve seal.
(1st thinking was - no, I'm not taking heads off as long as I'm in there)
2. I also didn't realize this was part of the crankcase venting system/air cleaner oiler. (was thinking venting to rocker box or something):D

Yesterday I picked up RB cover gaskets and my local parts guy set me up with breather kit 17162-03. All looked good. Hey...even included new umbrella valves!
So I proceeded to try to take the breathers apart. Note here I have the plastic
(17907-01) ones.
3. These are not meant to come apart. They are glued/sealed together.
(but they are pretty rugged)

I managed to get both apart without breaking them and filed/cleaned-up the mating faces. So I opened the plastic on the kit knowing the plastic breathers were salvaged.

The early head breathers were plastic and would warp over time. Not sure what year, '04 I think, breathers were changed to aluminum; no more warping. In '10 the head breathers changed to the new "stamped" breather; supposed to be more efficient. Some claim replacing the old with the new stamped breathers has minimized or eliminated oil in the air filter.

IIRC, the older breathers are now "obsolete" and even if you order by the old part number, you will get the new breathers. Not sure about that though so check Ronnies part finder and get the PN for the head breathers in '10 up model to be sure you get the new stamped breathers.:coffee

Today - did some more learnin" and investigating. Something didn't seem right.

4. They make/made different versions of this breather assembly (of course).
Dolt tells truth!

Soooo, looks like the parts in the kit will still work and the plastic breather looks pretty flat with a straight edge. The middle gasket will work with slight trimming but because there is a lip on the cover and the covers to bases fit good, I'm thinking of using high-temp rtv silicone-gasket maker instead. The bottom has inlaid rubber gasket but I will also use bottom gasket from the kit and put these plastic rebuilt breathers back in service.

:D :D :D

Back