free website stats program roaring noise when braking | Harley Davidson Forums

roaring noise when braking

Mavagrand

I have developed this "roaring" noise usually when braking but I have heard it occassionally when I am accelerating. It appeared around 2k as I was accelerating. I was not hard on the throttle either. It does not happen everytime I brake and seems to be related to the lean of the bike.

The noise seems to pulse and is speed related. I'm wondering about bearings but don't really know.

My bike has stage 1. I recently had the belt tightened up but think the noise was there before the belt adjustment. I am running a Michelin Commander on the back and a Metezeler on the front, different tread patterns.

Any ideas??

and seems to be related to the lean of the bike.

Being it happens on leaning, I would be suspect of the bearings or possible a tread noise from the tread design of the tire.

I have developed this "roaring" noise usually when braking but I have heard it occassionally when I am accelerating. It appeared around 2k as I was accelerating. I was not hard on the throttle either. It does not happen everytime I brake and seems to be related to the lean of the bike.

The noise seems to pulse and is speed related. I'm wondering about bearings but don't really know.

My bike has stage 1. I recently had the belt tightened up but think the noise was there before the belt adjustment. I am running a Michelin Commander on the back and a Metezeler on the front, different tread patterns.

Any ideas??

I am also running the Michelin Commanders (front and rear) and while riding with R.Bingham lately he noticed a similar noise coming form my bike while riding behind me during decel. It does seem to quiet down some if the clutch is pulled in.

Drive belt was somewhat loose and is now adjusted to spec using the HD belt tension tool but the noise is still there. I believe it just may be a tire noise by design and I can only hear it when he is riding real close to me almost like the noise is rebounding of his bike/windshield?

I do hear a different noise from the front tire when leaning agressively during turns which enforces my thought that it is just a tread design noise. My rear tire is due for replacement soon and I will see if the noise remains after that.

Until then I think I will just make him ride in front from now on :D

Like Glider said Check the wheel bearings, Since it happens when bike is leaned also check tires, when my rear tire got worn the center was flat and the sides still had tread when you would lean into a corner and get on part of side tread it would cause a (roar or humm sound) they were Dunlops.

A good way to check for bearing noise(even tho there may not be any play) jack up the axle spin the wheel with your hand on the fork tubes (FRONT) you will feel the vibration . On the rear do the same but now put your hand on the shock or spring. Do you feel the vibration?

If you do as Jack says, you may want to back the brake pads in a bit so the wheel will spin or you will need arms like Jacks :bigsmiley12:

If you do as Jack says, you may want to back the brake pads in a bit so the wheel will spin or you will need arms like Jacks :bigsmiley12:

Aww Boss I been turning wrenches so long I feel like Popeye:p

Rode it today actually listening for it. It happens on accel and decel, straight, turning and leaning. It also changes pitch dependent on the road surface. I really think it is one of my tires. I'll check the bearings like you recommended, Jack but I ain't gonna worry about it.

Rode it today actually listening for it. It happens on accel and decel, straight, turning and leaning. It also changes pitch dependent on the road surface. I really think it is one of my tires. I'll check the bearings like you recommended, Jack but I ain't gonna worry about it.

Run your hand on the inside and outside of the tires, do you feel cupping? This will make a roaring noise also

Back