free website stats program Roadtrip over. :) | Harley Davidson Forums

Roadtrip over. :)

CalgaryBikeBum

We arrived home Saturday from our (big) roadtrip. We did 7200 K (4464 Miles) in 2 weeks. Saw 9 states. Rode from Calgary Alberta to Sandpoint Idaho, Yakima Wash., Seaside Oregon, CoosBay Or, Eureka Calif, (they have a cool hotel built in 1888 that they let you park your bike inside the opera hall, bikes only) for the night), Visalia Calif, (saw General Sherman Tree) (it's huge), Bakersfield (took all day at big Sequoia's), crossed Mojave dessert, Needles Calif. was 118 Deg (HOT) but oil cooler worked amazingly well, Kingman Ariz., Saw Grand Canyon, drove on rest of evening and got to Cortez Colorado, then Grand Junction, (rode million dollar road along way), then Salt Lake City Utah, (actually town was Ogden), Dillon Montana (via Idaho on the I-15), then Great Falls Montana and then home. Wife rode on back all the way without a single complaint. The motor (104) I rebuilt last year took us there and back without any problems and used virtually no oil. Was a great trip. Just wanted to share. :cheers

Sounds like a great trip, and even better you and the wife are still together!! When can we expect the pix???

Glad your wife and you enjoyed the trip and returned safe.:cheers Feels great doesn't it.:small3d018:

If you have any pics, we'd be more than happy to see them.:D

Yes feels great. I bought it to ride it and wife is amazing passenger considering when we have to take truck somewhere she's asking "Are we there yet?" after only 30 minutes on road. HAHAHAHA Had one close call in California when a farmer and his tractor shot up onto road and then drove at 10 miles an hour and caused traffic suddenly slam on brakes. I was just passing a trailer and didn't see the tractor until I was almost ready to pull back in @ 70 mph. Locked it up. Realized i was gonna crash if I kept locked up so let off brakes , shot around through ditch and back onto road. Yelled for wife to hold on. She did. All went well. Even while riding through rocky shoulder back onto road. I will try and post a few pics. :)

Yes feels great. I bought it to ride it and wife is amazing passenger considering when we have to take truck somewhere she's asking "Are we there yet?" after only 30 minutes on road. HAHAHAHA Had one close call in California when a farmer and his tractor shot up onto road and then drove at 10 miles an hour and caused traffic suddenly slam on brakes. I was just passing a trailer and didn't see the tractor until I was almost ready to pull back in @ 70 mph. Locked it up. Realized i was gonna crash if I kept locked up so let off brakes , shot around through ditch and back onto road. Yelled for wife to hold on. She did. All went well. Even while riding through rocky shoulder back onto road. I will try and post a few pics. :)
Really glad that turned out well for you! Whew! My wife would've said "Okay, that's enough!! Can we go home now?"
Like others have said, would like to see some pix of your great trip. :cheers A toast to your safe return!! :s

Thanks for the well wishes. And I know what you mean about big guy watching out. I had 2 crashes when I was a relatively new rider back in the 1970's. Both were as much my fault as the car that turned left in front of me (i should have been prepared) or the curve i thought I could make at higher speed then I should have. I walked away virtually uninjured (although I was picking gravel out of my hip for years) from both but learned from both too. This last one was one of those things you can't plan for but years of riding and experience let you do the right things and think quick when the chips are down. That and lots of luck.

Back