free website stats program Roadking warranty voided? | Harley Davidson Forums

Roadking warranty voided?

x2tpd

My husband took his 07 RoadKing to the dealer today to have the rear fender (among other things) changed out for a custome painted piece. Since there is an amazing graphic on the fender he asked them to remove the chrome luggage (?) bar/rack. When he mentioned this the service guy said he thought removing the bar voided the warranty as it "affected the stability of the bike". Anyone know anything about this??

When he mentioned this the service guy said he thought removing the bar voided the warranty as it "affected the stability of the bike". Anyone know anything about this??

That's about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard coming from a dealer, and they do try hard.

According to the Magnusson-Moss Act , it has to be a proven fact that something a customer did caused a problem with the bike in order to effect a warranty. For example something like a PCIII unit that adjusts timing and fuel causing a piston to burn a hole from improper setup, this would void ONLY your engine warrantee but the rest of the bike would still be covered. Removing the rack in no way effects warranty or structural stability in any way. The rack just supports the license plate and bolts onto the frame rails as a grab bar but that's about it. The rear shocks are bolted to the frame ahead of the rack mounting points so that eliminates that as a reason.They get a little carried away with these tales of voided warranty.

You can always call customer service at HD and ask them this question. (414) 343-4056.

Read this.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/862-dealers_and_voiding_your_warrantee.html

Last edited:
HEY GLIDER,
I'm no expert, however, the rear bar that connects the frame pieces, not the luggage rack, does provide structural integrity to the frame. I see alot of "custom" baggers with the bar gone, mainly for "clean" look, or because of the fat tire/fender setup. Take that "Bar" off of yours and put a little lateral force on your bike and tell me it doesn't get a little sloppier. I'm not defending HD stealers, in anyway shape or form. I think there is some confusion between luggage rack and rear frame support?

I see your point but look at it this way. The bar ties the two frame horns together at the back end but the lateral force you speak of is handled by the swing arm which tie into the clevebloc to the frame which is mounted low and ties in behind the trans. The shocks if you look at the setup are mounted forward on these frame horns closer to the seat and main frame so I really don't feel it would make a bit of difference as the shocks don't provide much if any lateral support. If the shocks were mounted or attached farther back, then yes I would say it could make a difference. JMHO

Also if you look back at the FXR frame which was built much the same as the current baggers with the triangulated gusseting in the mid section, they had the same setup as the baggers pretty much but without the support that I think we are speaking of here and they were about the best handling bike that HD built. I had one of these and I'm sorry I sold it now.

Last edited:
Also if you look back at the FXR frame which was built much the same as the current baggers with the triangulated gusseting in the mid section, they had the same setup as the baggers pretty much but without the support that I think we are speaking of here and they were about the best handling bike that HD built. I had one of these and I'm sorry I sold it now.[/quote]
The bar in question here is not on the new Dynas (06 & newer) and THEY ARE the best handling Harleys ever Even better than our beloved FXR. :worthy
x2ptd do yourselves a favor and find someone else to work on your bike!! :nosad

Not trying to be argumentative here BUT :D

We're talking road kings, not Dyna's :58: :D

That's just not true about the Dyna's. :nosad The FXR had it all over the Dyna's :yes I've had them both.

The Dyna's have the rear swing arm mounted to the rear of the transmission unlike the FXR did, that was mounted to the frame like the baggers. Under the right conditions at around 55 MPH in a sweeper most all of the Dyna's go into a wobble of some magnitude because the swing arm is mounted to the trans which is mounted to the engine and it's all RUBBER mounted to the frame.:D (instability at it's best) :hiiWhile it's true that they have stabilizer links, there's just enough play to entice this problem even with them and then the rubber mounts exacerbates (wow, I like that word) the condition even more into a wobble.
Very few Dyna's have not experienced this problem to some degree and at some time in their life. There's a stretch of parkway near me that I could predict that it was going to do it without fail here. It's a sweeping turn to the right and it would do it every time I hit this stretch of road at the right speed.

I even made a jig for rear wheel alignment that would minimize it but not eliminate it completely.

I had Dyna's and can speak first hand about this, it's an ugly feeling. It feels like the bike is wobbling in the rear.

Last edited:
I understand your talking Roadkings. Had one, work on several. And I still think the Dealer is screwing with them. I also think they need to find a REAL mechanic and stop playing the Harley Service Tech Scheffel. Removing the bar no more voids their warranty then using Exxon gas instead of Harley Davidson Gas.
I've had several FXRs. I've had built one's and stock one's. At one time or another I've owned or spent saddle time on every model of Harley from 1948 up, even the little Aermacchi bikes. Up until 2006 the FXR was by far the best hot rod Harley ever built.
Then in 06 Harley changed the game and built a bike that actually holds a line through a curve, Problem with the FXR is applying power mid curve which causes the frame to flex and change the front rake and trail which made the them want to push through curvs. The frame of the 06 and newer Dynas don't flex, and they will hold the line.
They are not even close to any crotch rocket including Bullles but nothing else from HD will hang with one on the mountain. :D

I see your point but look at it this way. The bar ties the two frame horns together at the back end but the lateral force you speak of is handled by the swing arm which tie into the clevebloc to the frame which is mounted low and ties in behind the trans. The shocks if you look at the setup are mounted forward on these frame horns closer to the seat and main frame so I really don't feel it would make a bit of difference as the shocks don't provide much if any lateral support. If the shocks were mounted or attached farther back, then yes I would say it could make a difference. JMHO

Also if you look back at the FXR frame which was built much the same as the current baggers with the triangulated gusseting in the mid section, they had the same setup as the baggers pretty much but without the support that I think we are speaking of here and they were about the best handling bike that HD built. I had one of these and I'm sorry I sold it now.
Not sure about FXR, bought first Harley, 5 months ago. However as far as the bar on current bagger, I beleive the intention may be more as vibration reduction, as opposed to suspension rigidity. Think of tuning fork what happens if you tie the two pieces together? Less vibration and harmonics.

Aw heck, I'll put my RKC against it :D

I also think they need to find a REAL mechanic and stop playing the Harley Service Tech Scheffel. Removing the bar no more voids their warranty then using Exxon gas instead of Harley Davidson Gas.

I agree too, the dealers really mess with people and truthfully they S T R E T C H the limits of people believing what they are told.

It's a good thing that their noses don't grow every time they do tell a lie or they would have to build the shops differently so the noses would fit in the door :D

Bunch of Pinocchio's :s

Not sure about FXR, bought first Harley, 5 months ago. However as far as the bar on current bagger, I beleive the intention may be more as vibration reduction, as opposed to suspension rigidity. Think of tuning fork what happens if you tie the two pieces together? Less vibration and harmonics.

Interesting concept there, but with these tractors that HD builds, I think it just gave them a place to hang the plate and reason being not to many other models have the bar.

Back