free website stats program roadglide starting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

roadglide starting issues

tperry

My 2007 roadglide has issues with starting. Sometomes it starts fine 30%-40%, some times it grinds but starts 30% - 40%, othertimes there is a knarley nashing and it stops turning over and does not start. The bike is 100 % stock with 42K miles. There was a service bulletin on this stating to look for signs of arking at ground points. I have pulled the starter, cleaned all mating surfaces to inner primary and ground cables with grinder / scotch pad. no help. pulled starter 2nd time and opened primary to inspect gears all look good. This bike NEVER started nice/ smooth like any of my other bikes.You can feel it engage in the seat of your pants.

The compensator is what came to mind when I was reading your post, especially when you say you can feel it in your seat.

Could also be too much slack in primary chain or not the correct backlash in the starter pinion to ring gear clearance. I have seen that clearance raise some Terrible sounds and noise on cages. If the noise happens that often, just drain the primary and take off the primary cover. Disconnect the plug wires(grd them) and crank it through. Your not going to hurt anything and the noise should stand out. It may help you locate the source of the noise.

Seems to me 07 was the year of the new starter and ring gear problems, mine made a lot of noise and broke the ring gear, The Stealer told me they have had a few problems with 07 models:s

Seems to me 07 was the year of the new starter and ring gear problems, mine made a lot of noise and broke the ring gear, The Stealer told me they have had a few problems with 07 models:s

I second this post! My 07 has had more than it's share of starting issues and the Ring Gear has broken twice.

Back