free website stats program Road trips | Harley Davidson Forums

Road trips

See a road ya never been down...Go down it!...you will be surprised...and when and hopefully we get lost on the way....pull out the GPS and select home...lol Have seen the coolest areas ...and met the nicest folks that way.Seems are best road trips are the ones we "DON"T" plan.

If I'm going for 10-15 days I google a general direction of where I want to go,but if only a day trip or two I just get on and ride:)

My wife and I just follow the breeze!

We've found more interesting places just going off the beaten path. I'd have a hard time riding with a group because when I see a side road I take it spur of the moment.

We've started a map on cork board with pins of different colors in the towns and cities we've been to. Scenic areas get green pins even though they are not cities. We've been down every side rode within a 50 mi radius of home. I never realized there were so many places to see. Scenic roads are of special interest now, there are many here in Oregon that I've just passed by all my life.

I use the HD trip planner for road trips. I tend to plan the route avoiding highways, then adjust on the road with a pocket atlas.

Worked great from San Diego, California to Sturgis this summer. Spent very little time on the highways. Only, concern at times was seeing loaded HDs traveling on the highways going east when I was on a surface road heading west. I knew they were going to Sturgis too, but I was heading away at times. I wouldn't have changed a thing about that trip.

We also carried a GPS, didn't use it very often, sometimes at night before we crawled into our tent to check the plan for tomorrow.

This was how we visited:
CA
NV
UT
ID
WY
MT
SD
NE
CO
NM
AZ
in one trip.:D

For "free time" cruises (usually under 4 hours) I roll dice and go...1,2-North/ 3,4-West/ 5,6 South. East is a 10 minute ride before I dead end at Lake Michigan, so I have to turn north or south. For long rides, I find point A and point B, and if anything catches my eye, I'll stop or reroute. I find a ride by the seat of the pants is a lot more fun....more free!!!!

Here in upstate SC, I have found a couple of books I recommend by Hawk Hagebak. They're called Motorcycle Adventures Book 1,2, 3, .....He gives starting and end points, ride times, mileage,points of interest and gas availability. You set your odometer a the start and make the truns based on your odometer. If you want longer trips, link more than one ride together. I've had some good rides out of those books.

I also use the heads/tails = left/right method. Went around th eblock 3 times one day but have also had some awesome rides and discoveries.

Good luck'

Bubba

See a road ya never been down...Go down it!...you will be surprised...and when and hopefully we get lost on the way....pull out the GPS and select home...lol Have seen the coolest areas ...and met the nicest folks that way.Seems are best road trips are the ones we "DON"T" plan.

I am with you on that 4dogs. I will just take a road to see where it comes out. You will be surprised where you end up.

Back