free website stats program Road Trip US-17 North | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Trip US-17 North

doj1975

Next month I have a ride planned. Three friends and myself will be heading east to Ridgeland, SC to get on US-17 North. We will be riding it all the way to its end in Virginia. From there we will be headed north to Niagara Falls, NY. Any suggestions from anyone on must sees, good eats, cautions, etc. along this route? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Make sure you have your passport so you can view the Falls from the Canadian side, not much to see or do on the American side.

The New York side of the niagara area is a bit depressed. But if you go near the finger lakes area,,,try Seneca lake and Watkins Glen, plenty to see and do.
Also look for Glen Curtis Museum instrumental with the V-twin engine. also the corning glass factory. If your near the Hudson Valley region (where i am)
a place called Phonecia, off Rt 28 had good food and also scenic reservoir areas.
great roads also on any of these places.. up n down, twistys, and smooth. Plenty to see,, enjoy, :D

oops your post was a while ago...sorry..my bad!

Is there a reason you want to take 17 all the way? Sounds like you'll be running parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the way or at least you could take the parkway and still end up in northern Virginia and then head to Niagara Falls.

I grew up in Rochester and have been to the falls many times. The Canadian side is 100 times nicer, cleaner, with more stuff to do.

Have a great trip!

Is there a reason you want to take 17 all the way? Sounds like you'll be running parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the way or at least you could take the parkway and still end up in northern Virginia and then head to Niagara Falls.

I grew up in Rochester and have been to the falls many times. The Canadian side is 100 times nicer, cleaner, with more stuff to do.

Have a great trip!

Hey Doc, thanks for the reply. One of the other guys going and myself went to Front Royal, VA. via Interstate and rode the Skyline Drive and Blie Ridge Parkway from the north end, all the way back into Cherokee, NC, last summer. It was my favorite road trip of all time so far. The scenery and history along that route is indescribeable. Every year we try to take a new rode that we have never ridden. No hotel reservations and no real destination. Just two or three friends enjoying the open rode. We always pick something we would like to see, but it's more for giving us a general direction. We hope to make it to the falls but if we start running out of time we'll just head on back home. I would also like to see Manassas, and it is right off of US-17. I am open to any detours suggested by other two wheel adventurers. Oh, and I would really like to see the Canadian side of the falls, but my fellow travelers do not all have passports or time to get them before the trip.

If the Civil War (War of Northern Agression, to you Yanks ) is of any interest, Fredicksburg Va. also has a number of battlefields and National Parks.....

If the Civil War (War of Northern Agression, to you Yanks ) is of any interest, Fredicksburg Va. also has a number of battlefields and National Parks.....

Thanks, I am a fan of history, especially American history. As they say, those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. The civil war is at the top my my list. There is way too much misinformation out there about it.

About Us-17, can anyone tell me if we will have to make any water crossings by ferry or are all the crossings on bridges?

In NY, spend some time around Lake George and Lake Ticonderoga. Beautiful areas. If you have the time, go east into NH and hit Mt Washington.

A friend of mine and I did the Niagara falls ride from Philly a couple years ago.

Agree with all on the Canadian side. It's much better. If it works in your ride plan, I recommend route 6 that runs east <-> west along the top of PA. Nice road and scenery.

We rode up in one day, hit the bars, then rode home the next. We spent 5 seconds at the falls in the morning when it was not crowded to get a picture so our wives believed we were actually there.

Attachments

• The Falls 1.jpg
    The Falls 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 10
  • NF Trip 1.jpg
    NF Trip 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back