free website stats program Road Trip To Yellowstone | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Trip To Yellowstone

Kansasjase

My wife and I finally have a few days off at the same time so we're gonna hop on the bike and head for the hills... mountains. We're going to head for Yellowstone and spend--unfortunately only--two days there then head for home. We live in eastern Kansas and are looking at a 1800 mile ride!

Any suggestions on must sees along the way or once we get there? Where's a good place to stay in the park?

My wife and I finally have a few days off at the same time so we're gonna hop on the bike and head for the hills... mountains. We're going to head for Yellowstone and spend--unfortunately only--two days there then head for home. We live in eastern Kansas and are looking at a 1800 mile ride!

Any suggestions on must sees along the way or once we get there? Where's a good place to stay in the park?

Since your limited on time - what route have you planned to take to get there and back?? Lots of GREAT scenery in W. Neb., S.Dakota.

Having lived most of my life in that area, I woul d recommend that you do not stay inside the park. The crowds and the mediocre facilities may not compliment your trip. Cooke City, MT is very close to the park and offers good facilities and great riding, such as Beartooth Highway and Sunlight Basin. Gardiner, MT is also right on the Park boundry and is a fun place to stay. To the West you have West Yellowstone, MT and to the South you have the Tetons and Jackson, Hole, WY. The best place to stay inside the park is Old Faithful Lodge.

Hope you have a good trip.

Having lived most of my life in that area, I woul d recommend that you do not stay inside the park. The crowds and the mediocre facilities may not compliment your trip.

Thanks for the tip! And I forgot Jackson Hole was south, I've always wanted to go there.

R. Lewis... We haven't planned our route, wanted to see what we need to see before we decide our route.

ccraig... that sounds like it could be right my alley.

I really enjoyed the route between the south entrance to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, WY... the Grand Tetons are so impressive. The wifey and I stayed at a B&B about midway between the south entrance and Jackson, it was real nice and quiet.

My experience with Yellowstone is everything books up solid during the summer months, so I'd recommend getting advance reservations if you want to stay inside the park. Stayed at West Yellowstone a few times, but it was off season and didn't have any trouble getting a room. Some of those little motels are, shall we say, pretty "rustic". :s

I think we're leaning toward staying at least one night in Jackson Hole. We've been hearing the same about Yellowstone booking up.

I think we're leaning toward staying at least one night in Jackson Hole. We've been hearing the same about Yellowstone booking up.

Jaceddie made a very good point...being on a motorcycle, being open in the great outdoors. It is a good idea to keep any traces of foodstuffs far from you, the bike or your tent...and if you eat ANYTHING, before you pack up and go to sleep for the night, shower and clean up throughly, with all your day time clothes (you may have eaten in) packed far away from you in the tent or the bike. A bears' sense of smell is his main asset...his stomach, massive size and strength is driven by all the rest! :newsmile075:

Back