free website stats program Road trip to Austrian Alps | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road trip to Austrian Alps

Having a wee gas torch in the tool kit for adding a wee bit of heat when a fastener decides to stay where it is almost essential
Duck tape is another essential tool for bodging on the move as is araldite some wire and some string and an inventive head
You are learning fast

Brian

Having a wee gas torch in the tool kit for adding a wee bit of heat when a fastener decides to stay where it is almost essential
Duck tape is another essential tool for bodging on the move as is araldite some wire and some string and an inventive head
You are learning fast

Brian

I live and learn Brian :D

Great pictures and very well documented trip I must say! :D And the side note observations and technical details extraordinary. The bit with duct tape, zip ties, some wire and other bits to "take on the road" make the sustaining the trip easier. Learning...? We all are...and yes I just learned something today, modified the new H-D/HJC face shield for my Carbon-Fiber 1/2 Helmet and took it out on a 100 miler today...no windnoise...!?? Felt as quiet as a full face helmet. :newsmile011:

I had one on my old 1/2 helmet but that was before I got the QR fairing and because it is so much heavier, I don't wear it. But when you have a properly fitted face shield on a 1/2 helmet it will quiet things down a lot! Wish I had fitted it sooner, but when I first tried one in the store I could see the holes would not line up without modification, so chose not to buy it until now. My gal was telling me that my face was getting sunburned from not wearing a shield and told me to get one...along with one for her helmet too. Told ya our gals help us achieve great things! :laugh

And I also found the Sporty to be short on fuel capacity and put on one from an 2005 XL1200C...but even then it would be nice to have even more range. Custom tank is probably way to go...remember 6.6 lbs for every gallon of fuel. :s

Great pictures and very well documented trip I must say! :D And the side note observations and technical details extraordinary. The bit with duct tape, zip ties, some wire and other bits to "take on the road" make the sustaining the trip easier. Learning...? We all are...and yes I just learned something today, modified the new H-D/HJC face shield for my Carbon-Fiber 1/2 Helmet and took it out on a 100 miler today...no windnoise...!?? Felt as quiet as a full face helmet. :newsmile011:

I had one on my old 1/2 helmet but that was before I got the QR fairing and because it is so much heavier, I don't wear it. But when you have a properly fitted face shield on a 1/2 helmet it will quiet things down a lot! Wish I had fitted it sooner, but when I first tried one in the store I could see the holes would not line up without modification, so chose not to buy it until now. My gal was telling me that my face was getting sunburned from not wearing a shield and told me to get one...along with one for her helmet too. Told ya our gals help us achieve great things! :laugh

And I also found the Sporty to be short on fuel capacity and put on one from an 2005 XL1200C...but even then it would be nice to have even more range. Custom tank is probably way to go...remember 6.6 lbs for every gallon of fuel. :s

Glad you found the thread interesting NHD74F. I have gone back on what I always held to about a full face lid and bought a HD open face helmet. It has a flip down visor which can be swopped over for a sun peak. But it's very noisy. Would you mind pm-ing me the specifics when you get a chance? I'd be intersted in following suit if I could with my helmet. I'm not yelling too loud about getting a bigger tank - I've got my wife persuaded that I need a bigger bike with a bigger tank and I'm sticking with that story. :D :D

Very nice "virtual" tour as I bake (105F) in the incredibly dry plains of Texas! Wish I was there, or at least, not here.
Thanks.

Glad you found the thread interesting NHD74F. I have gone back on what I always held to about a full face lid and bought a HD open face helmet. It has a flip down visor which can be swopped over for a sun peak. But it's very noisy. Would you mind pm-ing me the specifics when you get a chance? I'd be intersted in following suit if I could with my helmet. I'm not yelling too loud about getting a bigger tank - I've got my wife persuaded that I need a bigger bike with a bigger tank and I'm sticking with that story. :D :D

Actually the HD/HJC faceshield mod was lengthening the end slots 1/8" and mounting it to the HD/HJC Carbon Helmet with the existing metal fasteners is shown below. The shield wraps around flush under the hood, so very little noise due to the aerodynamics; note how close it goes near the straps so wind does not hit the ears...voila' no more ear plugs or goggles :newsmile011:

H-DCarbonHJCFacesheild-1-1.jpg

Back