free website stats program Road trip to Austrian Alps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road trip to Austrian Alps

Nice trip you had,thanks for posting it.I'm planning a road trip next year,to catch Hamburg Harley Days,then down to Holzminden,in the weserbergland where I used to live to revisit all my friends.From there I'm planning to go on a few day trips in and around the Hartz mountains then on to Dresden for a visit to the Sachescher alps,then up to Berlin,and back here via a friend of mine in Belgium.You're welcome to join me,and whoever else may decide to come.I'll be haveing a great time anyways,as you can imagine.BTW the bundestrassen are supherb roads,and with the bonus you'll see much more of Germany,and enjoy the ride a lot more(no tailgateing motorway drivers).Camping will be the name of the game,the camping oppertunitys and grounds are far superior to the excuses for same there are here in england.This is an open invite,and the kick off will be at Calais,or maybe (MORE THAN LIKELY)the over nite ferry from Harwch to Hook of Holland,because dover and Harwich are both a 6 hour ride from Plymouth,and the ferry will give us a nice fresh start for the road trip.

Very good of you to invite me Gunnut - thanks! Please let me know in due course about when you're going as it sounds like a great trip. Cheers. CB63

I love that part of the world. I have been overseas a few times (to snowboard) and wish I had my bike with me to ride those roads. I have to be honest though, if I had my choice of bikes there it wouldn't be my Harley - I'd have to go with my Honda CBR 1000rr.

Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip, breathtaking photos. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks very much! The photos hardly do justice to the beauty of the scenary and I'm glad that the size limit for posting didn't detract from them too much.

I love that part of the world. I have been overseas a few times (to snowboard) and wish I had my bike with me to ride those roads. I have to be honest though, if I had my choice of bikes there it wouldn't be my Harley - I'd have to go with my Honda CBR 1000rr.

It is a lovely place to ski or snowboard. We were on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier skiing with the kids in late April this year and we were all skiing in t-shirts. The apres-ski is the best in the world in Austria too - they know how to party there and somehow or other oompah music and Europop sounds really good in its home setting. :D

By far and away, the most numerous bike model we saw was the BMW GS - they are very good bikes but you need an inside leg measurement of about 5' to get your feet down. There were a lot of Harleys on the Grossglockner road and a surprising number of Wings. I must say, I think that sort of road is suited very well to a high torque lower revving engine so I'm not sure if you wouldn't be better off on your Harley after all.

Get down there on your bike sometime - you won't regret it.

Great pics of some beautiful country, thanks for sharing. I think I would have a hard time coming home from scenery like that :D

Great pics of some beautiful country, thanks for sharing. I think I would have a hard time coming home from scenery like that :D

It's very beautiful alright but then so are so many parts of your great country. I've never ridden in the USA and I really hope to change that before too long.

Good story & lovely pics Cedar.
On the autobahn thing, friend of mine not long back from a trip there, was saying how freaked out he was by the way drivers indicate as they're changing lanes, not before they change....a bit scary at 100mph. He'd only just got his RK and was glad to get it & himself off the motorways on to the smaller roads.

Good story & lovely pics Cedar.
On the autobahn thing, friend of mine not long back from a trip there, was saying how freaked out he was by the way drivers indicate as they're changing lanes, not before they change....a bit scary at 100mph. He'd only just got his RK and was glad to get it & himself off the motorways on to the smaller roads.

Makes some of those beautiful roads in your lovely country seem a lot more welcoming eh?

One unfortunate thing that happened was that my pal dropped his bike in a lapse of concentration just as he was about to park it at a viewing point on that steep High Alpine Road (pointing partway downhill with the stand side downhill - over he went ) but I was so horrified to see him go down and tumble away from his bike right in front of me that i slow dropped mine as well. It was near stopped as we were just pulling up and it was because of the steep camber and really sudden stop. Fortunately the engine bars prevented any real harm but the after market mini board on the left side was twisted upwards against the resistance of the grub screw. The Kuryakyn mini boards are a nice item but their failing is the tendency for the grub screw not to hold them well enough and particularly on the left side, the constant torsional force of the foot changing gear up and down leads to the mini board loosening and rotating. Clearly this is dangerous when it's loose to rotate around like that - so the last time it happened a year or so ago, I was tempted to tighten it with an application of Red Loctite. In the end, I chickened out of Red and went with Blue. I tightened it up well but after the drop, when I tried to open the grub screw, the hex key broke so I knew the screw was well and truly stuck and I was at risk of rounding out the screw head. So I strapped it up with Duck Tape (that and WD40 form the core of bike First Aid on the road lol) and it saw me through the rest of the week and the long ride home. Once back I tried again to open the grub screw but there was no movement. I tried heating it with a soldering iron to no avail. Then I had the idea to bring home a little gas burner I use in work for annealing wire and it did the job sweetly. I tapped the hex key in to ensure it was well into the screw and then held it with a vice grip, twisted, and out she came. It's still not a very secure system and I plan to replace the grub screw with a modified bolt that I can tighten a bit more securely. I may drill a small pit for the end of the bolt to sink into a little to enhance the resistance to twisting under foot.

Good old HDtalking - I'd never have known about cooking the Loctite without the wisdom from the site and I'd have been muttering a few things I could never write here and reaching for the duck tape again :D :D

Attachments

• PIC_0475.JPG
    PIC_0475.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC_0474.JPG
    PIC_0474.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PIC_0476.JPG
    PIC_0476.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PIC_0481.JPG
    PIC_0481.JPG