free website stats program Road Tech radio | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Tech radio

bignew

On my 02 Road King I had a Road Tech radio mounted on the handlebars. In my accident I went through the radio and fairing. I'm trying to sell the radio now and I have an offer but my issue is how can I hook it up to see if it still works and can you purchase a mounting bracket separately. The radio looks fine and a new one costs 900. I thought about telling the gentleman $100.

Awesome thanks, I'm not finding much online. I want to get it out of my house, but I would never want to screw someone over...........karma :34::34:

Please clarify, " --you were in an accident and went "through the radio and fairing" and now selling the radio??" Just kidding! :small3d031:

What I think your trying to say is how do you hook it up to test it, yes you can, but you will need a 1) a 12VDC source, (fuse or current/polarity protected), 2) an antenna or 3 foot wire with matching connector or heavy enough guage to plug in relativily snug into antenna jack center conductor hole, 3) speakers (typically 4 ohms each) and wiring diagram (may be under the wiring harness diagram) or the connector plug/patchcord breakout box to access mating connectors or using solid wire to match connector pins/socket using jumper patch cords. :newsmile105:

It depends on how much electronics experience you have and make sure you know how to use a DMM to verify hot voltages and insulate exposed conductors to prevent damages due to momentary shorts. :s

Last edited:
Please clarify, " --you were in an accident and went "through the radio and fairing" and now selling the radio??" Just kidding! :small3d031:

What I think your trying to say is how do you hook it up to test it, yes you can, but you will need a 1) a 12VDC source, (fuse or current/polarity protected), 2) an antenna or 3 foot wire with matching connector or heavy enough guage to plug in relativily snug into antenna jack center conductor hole, 3) speakers (typically 4 ohms each) and wiring diagram (may be under the wiring harness diagram) or the connector plug/patchcord breakout box to access mating connectors or using solid wire to match connector pins/socket using jumper patch cords. :newsmile105:

It depends on how much electronics experience you have and make sure you know how to use a DMM to verify hot voltages and insulate exposed conductors to prevent damages due to momentary shorts. :s

Yep, At some point during the accident I went through the front of the bike. I wish the faring and I looked as good as the radio. I'm actually surpised my big body fit through the front. I have limited electronics experience but a friend mentioned hooking up to some type of power source. My dilemna is which is hot and which is ground. wiring harness has pink/brown/purple/grey stripped wires. It might be easier to just give it away.:bigsmiley32:

Do you have the service manual...there should be a schematic of the harness with color codes to tell you. I have a Sportster which did not come with radio (one of the more "pedestrian" riders if you will).

But there are others who do, who may weigh in and tell you what the connections are. Be patient, there are plenty of guys and gals to help you. The radio antenna connection is a round one on the side, or shielded cable with 2 conductor plug , the insulated center pin is antenna, the ground shield outside. The case of the radio is "usually" ground, and the power usually has inline fuse to protect your bike as well as the radio.

On my 02 Road King I had a Road Tech radio mounted on the handlebars. In my accident I went through the radio and fairing. I'm trying to sell the radio now and I have an offer but my issue is how can I hook it up to see if it still works and can you purchase a mounting bracket separately. The radio looks fine and a new one costs 900. I thought about telling the gentleman $100.

I am interested in your radio. If you have any mounting hardware I would like to buy it with the radio too. If not, that's ok. Please contact me.

Back