free website stats program road tar on exhaust | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

road tar on exhaust

Ok, don't laugh but, "OVEN CLEANER" works great on pipes especially when you have rubber from boot soles that melted on the pipes etc. Never tried it on tar but don't see why it won't work.

For removing tar,plain old kerosene on a rag,cheap and easy.Wet the spot with kero,let it set a bit and wash off.Won't hurt paint or chrome.A little bit last's for a long time.

I've used "Bug & Tar Remover" that you get at the auto parts store. Have also had the melted bag problem, and used polishing compound and fine steel wool to clean it off with no scratches left.

never dull is the best for stuff on the chrome. When I get something melted to the exhaust I just warm the bike up and rub it with the never dull. No scratches and comes right off...plus a nice polished finish...lol.

I've used "Bug & Tar Remover" that you get at the auto parts store. Have also had the melted bag problem, and used polishing compound and fine steel wool to clean it off with no scratches left.

Never thought of the bug and tar remover and I have some too.:hii

I've heard on stubborn cases that easy off oven cleaner works too but you don't want to get it on anything else like the paint or aluminum.

Not sure about road tar, but when I had some melted gym shoe on my pipes, I used the Mr. Clean magic Sponge (it was recommended to me on another, un-named site :shock).

The Mr. Clean sponge worked very well, but takes lots of rubbing.

Hey,I agree with what FourDogs said about the plastic bags ,Thats the worse thing I have ever gotten on my pipes.My thats tough to get off.
I don't remember what I used on the plastic but I did get it of.
I have gotten Tar on mine before and as our brother said WD 40 works great on the tar.Good Luck,Jim

zep40vend.jpg

I use this on all my chrome. Spray it on and all the road junk wipes off.I get mine from the autodetail shop next to my shop. This stuff is also great on glass

That looks like an interesting product but it is made mainly for glass. I sure would like to try it on the rear of the mufflers where the road tar gets baked on.

• Heavy-duty
  • Rapidly removes dirt, film, fingerprints, tobacco smoke, grease and a variety of other oily and water-soluble soils.
  • Versatile
  • Cleans any surface not harmed by water.
  • Easy-to-use
  • Handy aerosol package eliminates pre-mixing and special sprayers. Just simply spray on and wipe dirt and grease away.
  • All-temperature
  • Designed especially to eliminate low-temperature streaking problems on glass during the winter months.
  • Ecologically more desirable
  • Contains no phosphates or fluorocarbon repellants.
  • U.S.D.A. authorized
  • Authorized for use on all surfaces in inedible product processing areas, non-processing areas, and/or exterior areas.
Note: Not recommended for tinted windows and Plexi-glas.

DESCRIPTION
A heavy-duty, aerosol glass cleaner for non-conductive surfaces. Fortified formula contains powerful solvents, wetting agents, and ammonia to handle
difficult cleaning tasks.
Ideally suited to remove soil, smudges, and streaks from non-conductive surfaces such as show-cases, doors, table tops, desks, mirrors, enamel surfaces, chrome, stainless steel, tile and windshields. Particularly useful in:Automatic Vending Machine Operators Eating & Drinking Establishments New & Used Car Dealers Car Washes Home Furnishing Stores Schools & Education Services Child Day Care Centers Hotels & Motels Service Stations Cleaning and Maintenance Services Sports & Recreation Clubs
SPECIFICATIONS
Physical Form . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Aerosol Storage Temperature...........................32°F to 210°F
Propellant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hydrocarbon Shelf Life .............................................1 year minimum
Can Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .24 oz. Flammability ........................................ Not Flammable by
Net Weight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 lb. 6.5 oz. Avdp. (638 g) CSMA Flame Extension

This product is designed exclusively for
industrial and institutional use by trained,
professional maintenance personnel. Label
directions and precautions must be followed
exactly. Zep Manufacturing Company will not
be responsible for any injury, loss, or damage,
if product is used in any manner not in compliance
with label directions, or, if precautions
are not observed.

Heavy-duty cleaner for non-conductive surfaces.
Dissolves grease, oil, finger marks, and
soil on contact. No spotting, smudges, or
streaks � even at low temperatures. Leaves
glass sparkling clear. Foamy formula stays
where you spray. Contains no phosphates and
no fluorocarbon propellants.

DIRECTIONS:
Spray surface and wipe clean. Polish with
a clean, dry cloth or paper towel. Repeat as
necessary.

Back