free website stats program Road pits on front fork sliders | Harley Davidson Forums

Road pits on front fork sliders

The factory lower legs have a clear coating on them so if you try to remove the chips, you will have to remove the clear coating. It can be done and then you can polish the lower legs and they come out looking almost as good as chrome. All you have to do then is an occasional touch up with some polish to keep them looking new.
It's a bit of work and most go for the chrome front end instead.

The factory lower legs have a clear coating on them so if you try to remove the chips, you will have to remove the clear coating. It can be done and then you can polish the lower legs and they come out looking almost as good as chrome. All you have to do then is an occasional touch up with some polish to keep them looking new.
It's a bit of work and most go for the chrome front end instead.

As Glider says it's work to get the clear coat off, it can require wet sanding or buffing with a wheel and compound. It's though stuff!

I did that on my Dyna... only took about an hour per fork. Started with 150 grit... worked my way up to wet sanding with 800 grit, then switched to aluminum polish. Never needed anything other than elbow grease... and a comfy spot on the garage floor.

I did this on my 07 RKC not long ago. 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper used wet had that clear coat off in a jify. The I polished what I could with "bad dog polish" and looked ALMOST like chrome. That reminds me, I need to do the polish again. Look at the bad dog polish website, it's good stuff. No affiliation to bad dog.

According to the love bug post you can mask off the rest of the bike, ride through Florida, not wash the bike for a day and the clear coat will be stripped off, then you just have to remove the bugs,

On second thought, the wet / dry sand paper thing may be just as simple. I have not done this on my bike but have seen the resuts, it does look good once done then just have to do an occasional polish depending on how much you ride.

Paint stripper will make it bubble up then a soft plastic scraper can be used to just push it off
i use a gel type paint stripper so does not splash around and strip other parts nearby

Brian

Just replaced my fork lowers on my 2000 RK with the chrome kit harley sells. You just can't beat the HD kits when they assemble them. Figured out an easy trick for compressing the fork springs when working alone. I have some long (3' or 4 foott) clamps. The kind you squeeze trigger and they tighten. Worked perfectly for putting caps back on with springs while tightening with other hand. Locked clamp in vice at a good working height for me. Put fork assembley in clamp with light pressure on cap. Then once in position just squeezed trigger while aligning spring and cap until i saw oring had gone inside tube. Then lightly turned cap while applying pressure (good to lube top of clamp to aid in it turning while under pressure and voila' the cap caught the threads and it was a piece of cake. Hope that helps someone else. Those clamps are quite cheap at a tool wholesaler. Maybe $20? :D

According to the love bug post you can mask off the rest of the bike, ride through Florida, not wash the bike for a day and the clear coat will be stripped off, then you just have to remove the bugs,

On second thought, the wet / dry sand paper thing may be just as simple. I have not done this on my bike but have seen the resuts, it does look good once done then just have to do an occasional polish depending on how much you ride.

The other part about Florida is that if you live anywhere near the coast and you remove that clear coat. You are in for some real work keeping them anything close to decent looking.

Bodeen

Back