free website stats program Road King Wiring problem! | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Wiring problem!

Elwrong66

Hi Everyone, i purchased a set of custom chrome handlebar controls. I already had the chrome buttons on the bike, so it was pretty straight forward just replacing the stock black clam shell button control covers with the new ones, or so i thought. I got it all done, looked sharp. Went to start the bike and the only thing i got was a pop of a fuse! The only thing i can think of is that maybe one of the wires got pinched when i reinstalled the new covers? Anyone have any ideas on this before i rip it all apart again? Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• new controls.jpg
    new controls.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
Usually what happens is a wire gets pinched. I like to assemble the halves and close them up completely and hold them there before tightening the fasteners down.

Take it apart and pull the cover back off the wiring,you will have to cut the small black wire tie to do this,my bet is you will find you pinched the wire . Repair it,then put an extra wrap of tape on it,pull the cover back over and install another wire tie. Before you put it back together take a small round file and file the housing where the wiring comes out for a little extra room.

yup, i cut back the black shrink wrap and all the wires got pinched. Not too much wire to work with cutting them and re-splicing them.......nothing is ever easy is it! Thanks for the help.

Ok, sorry guys. I tok it apart and cut the 4 wires. Unfortunatley, because i'm an idiot, i didn't mark them. I thought they were all different colors. Their not! I've got 2 white wires with a black stripes that i didn't mark. Do these matter which ones they go back to? The other 2 are gray with a black stripe and red with a black stripe.......These wires are to the on/off switch and the start button......thanks for your help.

What about comparing the cut lengths of the wires? they couldn't both be cut the exact same length. Treat it like a jigsaw puzzle :D

yup, tried that. i had already stripped the wires.......i've got the diagram. looks like the 2 wires merge anyway if i'm reading it right. Shows the starter switch wire, white/black stripe and the emerg stop switch white/black stripe merging, yup looks ok I think........I'll let you know how i make out. Thanks again........Thank god for this forum.

Back