free website stats program Road King vs Street Glide opinions - but wait! | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King vs Street Glide opinions - but wait!

wallymn99

I would like to solicite opinions on the two bikes. both are 2008's with the RK being a classic. both same price basically but the RK classic has ABS, security. couple of things i noticed that i would like opinion if you would; The fairing on the SG seems to block the road in front of you. I wasn't too crazy about that as on the road king you had a better view. Our midwest pot holes are something the creep up on you quickly. also, the SG seems lower to the ground and that it would be an easier bike to ride or manuver. The RK seems more like a heritage and that it may not be as nimble. Anyone care to put opinion here please do. I would also like recommendations for doing a stage one kit with pipes (brand unknown). Trust me, i am not trying to beat a dead horse with this topic. I hope what i can learn here i can apply to my purchase. This will be my first harley. I want to make sure i get the right bike and that it will be comfortable for my wife to ride on back. She gave me the green light to get a new bike that's the least i can do. Any help is appreciated.

Last year I bought my first harley an EGC and it took about 15 min. to get used to the bat wing. I now love it. I put on a short wind screen on a little taller than the SG. My opinion is go and rent a RK, and a SG, take the mrs. and see what fits you and you like the best. Good luck and be safe out there.:sd:D

Batwing Fairing - the area of the road it blocks your view of is not where you should be looking anyway. You simply can't do anything about an object this close to your front wheel. It doesn't interfere at all with your normal, riding range of view. On the plus side, it offers great chest and arm protection and it's also where the tunes live!!

Sitting Height - the Street Glide does indeed sit a bit lower than the RKC but, for me, it's perfect - allows me to sit flat footed comfortably. Road King seat spread my legs out wider and forced me to tip toe. I'm 6 feet tall with a 32 inch inseam.

Handling - in my opinion, they handled pretty much the same once you are underway with feet up.

Wife's Comfort - both are touring bikes with air adjustable rear suspension so it's again pretty much a tie. I'm not positive but the fairing on the SG may even offer a bit more protection for your passenger.

Bottom Line - you can't go wrong with either bike! Rent them both or, at the very least, test ride them same day, same roads, back-to-back for a valid comparison. If you're going to carry your wife a lot, include her in the decision by all means. But then, you're married so you already know that!

I personally like the Street Glide. I think it has better curb appeal, and I like the fairing to turn with the bars.

I have an EGUC with ABS them new brembos really work well. My wife and I also like the tunes and the protection of the fairing.

You know the saying, oppinions are like a-holes, everybody has one!!!
Here's mine. Obviously I chose the street glide. I love it 13,000+ miles on my 2007 and it was/is my first Harley. Definately dig having tunes along for the ride. Never have had an issue looking through "batwing", it's part of the bike and not in view when riding. Both bikes rock but I prefer the glide!!! Either way you can't lose, jump in head first and don't look back!!!

Your going to love either one. If you need the radio, get the Street Glide. If you like the classic look, go with the Road King. The Street Glide weighs a bit more, has a bit less ground clearance. You can overstuff the Road King Classic saddlebags, can't do that with the hard bags. The weight will cost you a bit in acceleration, you won't notice that unless like weighted riders, riding the identical models you mentioned; happened to me this past weekend. FLHTCU beaten by lighter FLHX beaten by FLHRC.

Good luck.

I ended up with the SG. It just felt more natural for me. I sat on both back and forth for about 2 hours!!!! and just felt better on the SG. Get it tonight. Stage one with Vans pipes!! This is my first harley and first bike in years. Used to ride the Yamaha's during college so this is a big step up.

One thing not mentioned, the FLHX comes with passenger pegs-not floorboards. My wife prefers 'boards so it cost me another $300.

One thing not mentioned, the FLHX comes with passenger pegs-not floorboards. My wife prefers 'boards so it cost me another $300.

That's just the beginning - backrest, better padded seat, better speakers to hear all the way back in the passenger area, taller windshield to deflect a bit more air, cupholder - don't put away that checkbook yet!

Back