free website stats program Road king tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Road king tires

HOLY DIVER

fixing to buy a new set of tires for my road king just wanted to get some opinions i'm looking the smoothest ride just wondering what most of you guys are running on your touring chassis harley's

I have used a varied number of different makes and model and size tires on my bikes. Over the years I have come full circle and back to the stock tires that came-on and were in the design-thought of the particular bike i ride today.

The old days, Metrics, Harley, I used Avon venom X's, continentals, 880 metzeler, and a few no-names way earlier, on metrics..

I have and like the Dunlop's and on this latest new bike 09 FLHR I see no reason to experiment with any other. A lot of problems I have heard about but none showing on my bike.
The tire wear is doing good with only 10,000 miles on the bike and as far as comfort, It is all in the air shocks that work better than any spring hyd. I have ever had on the other bikes..

The comfort in tire thing, always seemed to be caused by a "New Tire". I bet you could of blindfold me and I could not of told you the make or difference of any tire just put on except it was New and Felt that way....
So call me Old Fashioned but I'll stick with these stock ones for now. If they treat me right I'll buy them back.

signed....BUBBIE

I like the OE Dunlop tires. Good compromise between mileage and wear. Never a problem handling either.

I would go with Michelin if your running blackwalls!

Just because Harley puts Dunlops on there bike...doesnt mean there the best!

Better price, and alot more miles per tire with the Michelin Comannder or Pilot series! check them out on Motorcycle Super store website

no tax....and free shipping too

Just went back to Dunlops...they were available at the dealer at a decent price completed right there in a little over an hour. Previous tires were Metzlers, performance wise a bit superior to the Dunlops, but I only got 8000 miles on both front and rear worn to the treadwear indicators. Mileage verses performance, the Dunlop trumps the Metzlers, besides the convenience of them being in stock and good relationship with dealer for 20% off MSRP when buying two. HD dealer does want your business...:D

I am not a fanboy for either Harley Davidson or Dunlop, but I am in the camp that believes there is no better tire suited for a Harley than what the manufactuer puts on them. There may be other tires which are just as good but for mileage and safety I will have to give it to Dunlop. I put new tires on last month and went with a D408F on the front and a D407 on the back. For me, any tire that stands up to 20K+ miles on the back of a motorcycle is a good tire. I attribute a small part of their longevity to tire beads due to the fact they are constantly being rebalanced.

If you have a 2010 Road King, check out Avon Cobra tires. I've never used them yet, but I've used Venoms for a long time, and really liked them for smoothness and wear. YMMV.

Thorns

I recently needed tires and just did the OE Dunlops. I like them and have not had any issues with them. I bought them from Motorcycle Superstore for a really good price. I had a local guy who has a small shop put them on for me. I did a lot of research and read a lot of posts on this forum about tires. I decided that going with the Dunlops was the best option after going through all that. jmho

Back