free website stats program Road King Tank Console Blackout Finish | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Tank Console Blackout Finish

Delmar

Has anyone done anything to blackout their tank console? I can deal with the plain look, however in the bright Texas sun the reflective texture badly glares in my eyes. Please reference the following pic using the camera flash as a simulation. Compounding the problem is the location of the glare is well below my sunglasses so shades offer no help.

I did a web search and found no console inserts that would fit my Road King. My original thought is to remove the console and have it powder coated matte black.

Otherwise I was going to attempt brush painting only the recessed portion of the console, to me the black/chrome contrast would look really sharp. I assume I need to somehow etch the chrome to allow the paint to grip? Anyone ever attempt this?

glare.jpg

Thanks Glider, found them on the HD site. Did you have to remove the console and speedo to install?

Did you attempt to paint inside the center thin recesses? The HD insert does not cover that area.

I didn't remove anything, just make sure to use a cleaner to remove any wax where the unit gets installed and I like to heat it up with a blow drier after the installation to bond it better.
The center portion didn't bother me any.

be nice if the pics above where more than the same pic for every item i would like to do something for my 08

I scrutinized the coverage of the inserts, where my console is glaring and where the badly scratched surfaces are, and have instead elected to have the console powder coated satin black. I will coat only the top surface and leave the sides chrome.

Received a quote for $85 for the power coating from a local company. I‘ll post pictures of the finished piece.

Following is a pic of the installed dash along with the new tank emblems. Also note...no flare from the camera flash! I really like the way it turned out, the simple matte black finish against the chrome edge is really sharp and totally goes with the Police theme.

console.jpg

Following is a pic of the installed dash along with the new tank emblems. Also note...no flare from the camera flash! I really like the way it turned out, the simple matte black finish against the chrome edge is really sharp and totally goes with the Police theme.

console.jpg

Hey D...fine job you did on that console. And you are right, goes with the Road King Police color and accessories. Have to admit, after seeing your bike, I now know why the cops always wear sun glasses. :14:

Back