free website stats program road king tail light | Harley Davidson Forums

road king tail light

ozkingrider

hi all i have just bought a 2001 road king and need info on the rear tail light unfortunatly the previous owner had removed the tail light and fitted a vespa scooter tail light to it and i think it looks horrible so upon removing it
i noticed there is a rectangular opening in the guard and one fixing captive nut so my question is what tail light do i need i purchased one but i think its earlier and wont fit on or do i need another bracket to help fit the tail light i hope this makes sense if not ask me some questions and i will give what ever info you need to make it easier to understand

oh and i forgot can anyone help me out with a 2001 road king owners manual so i can read up on how the alarm system works etc or is there a pdf site somewhere that might have it ?

Not knowing what you have exactly, most of the RK of the same era should fit but I would try to get one from the same year as you have. They changed the later ones to modular plugs.

Maybe you could post a pic?

The shop manual would be best to get that from the dealer. There isn't many online that can be read without purchasing it, best to get your own here.

here are the pics they show the rear guard the tail light and how they dont match on guard i hope this helps

Attachments

• 2001roadkingguard.jpg
    2001roadkingguard.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 28
  • tailight.jpg
    tailight.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
  • tailightfiting.jpg
    tailightfiting.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 32
The light you have there is a late model light, The mount for your fender is a bit different than that one. Best bet is to find a light from the right year so it fits right. The newer fenders have a indent in them and not cut out (open) like yours, do you know if the fender has been changed?

Shouldn't be much of a problem to make a bracket that attaches to the 2 studs on the light and fastens to the captive nut of the fender.

will look into correct year but will still try to make a bracket but it is the original rear fender i need a light with one bolt hole saw one on ebay but he wont send to england so i have to keep looking

Last edited:
unless someone trusts me and will buy it for me get a postage cost to england and i can pay them through paypal ????? man that that would be a help lol

scratch the above idea its only the lens and bulb still ned the chrome cast section not going to be easy this lol

hang theres another but he wont send to england either can anyone tell me if this is what i need?

it looks like it has one fitting hole which would make it work here is the ebay number for some reason i cant post the link it doest work

ebay number 290241494260

if someone can have a look and tell me if its the right one it would be a help

Last edited:
Back