free website stats program road king speedo | Harley Davidson Forums

road king speedo

Wow - more info please!

The main place to start would be to ask what was the last modification or maintenance you did to the bike before you noticed this problem?

You can count the stripes in the road they are 12' apart so if you go by them every second you are going 60 mph.

You can count the stripes in the road they are 12' apart so if you go by them every second you are going 60 mph.

I'm having trouble working that out, some information seems to be missing, perhaps the length of the stripes. Could you elaborate, please. I know my question doesn't help fix the guys speedo, but I can usually do enough arithmetic to work out a problem, and I can't come up with 5280 feet in one minute unless those are long stripes.

I'm having trouble working that out, some information seems to be missing, perhaps the length of the stripes. Could you elaborate, please. I know my question doesn't help fix the guys speedo, but I can usually do enough arithmetic to work out a problem, and I can't come up with 5280 feet in one minute unless those are long stripes.

It has been a while but 60mph is a mile a minute. 5280' divided by 60 = 88' a second. If the stripes are 12' long and 35' apart that is 2 stripes a second so I must have a number wrong some where. Tomorrow is going to be warm I guess I should go out and get to the bottom of my rash statement. Hey it worked for years without a speedo. I guess I was only going 30mph:newsmile021:

I noticed that the speedo stopped working on a ride out last week. Also the auto turn off for the indicators packet up at the same time. After a little research I found out that
because the speedo is not working the indicators (turn signals)think the bike is stationary.I have changed the sensor above the gear box but no joy.Next would be the speedo itself. Do you know if there is a relay and how would I check it? Thanks

I noticed that the speedo stopped working on a ride out last week. Also the auto turn off for the indicators packet up at the same time. After a little research I found out that
because the speedo is not working the indicators (turn signals)think the bike is stationary.I have changed the sensor above the gear box but no joy.Next would be the speedo itself. Do you know if there is a relay and how would I check it? Thanks

Have you confirmed your charging system is working properly first, If it is not all kinds of bad things can happen, The voltage required to operate most systems on our bikes is very critical, That said have you replaced the sensor or checked it the one in the tranny?

Could be as simple as the plug on the speedometer. Not quite so easy, the rest of the plugs between the sensor and the speedo. Check your manual to see if the speedo is listed for a particular fuse and what else is powered through that fuse.

Back