free website stats program Road king shut down | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road king shut down

or a thermal problem with the ICM (I had that this, but it also would not allow me to start until 30 minute cool down).

This is the deal with me. ICM??? some control module? Anything I can check or to the dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with glider with changing out the main 40 amp breaker with a 50. I had the same problem with my 2000 RdKing. Changed it out and haven't had a problem in 3 years. Save some money and buy it at your local auto parts.

My 07 RK Classic shuts down during over-heating and it wouldn't start back up so H-D dealer found out the problem was bad spark-plug wires

I have a 07 Road King and my bike would cut off just whenever it wanted with no warning. After turning the tank switch off and on again the bike would run again. Went to Smoking Harley Davidson and the tech. called Harley and they said to replace the run/kill switch on the handel bars. After it was replaced I hav'nt had any problems at all. Hope that helps.

My 07 RK Classic shuts down during over-heating and it wouldn't start back up so H-D dealer found out the problem was bad spark-plug wires

Wish I could examine & test the old wires.:D I would think you would have a Host of other problems along with the shut down during overheating issue if it was solely the spark plug wires.

But none the less, I am glad your bike is running well now.

I had a similar problem. Nothing coded as out of order. Then my friendly independant mechanic found that it was a bad bank angle sensor. The sensor is supposed to be only on Police Bikes but somehow got installed in mine. If the sensor fails your bike will stop. Since the sensor is actually 'working' no codes appear.

My '09 RKC has a bank angle sensor that will kill the motor when leaned over to far. Don't ask how I know. It doesn't kill the motor when the boards drag cornering though :)

My '09 RKC has a bank angle sensor that will kill the motor when leaned over to far. Don't ask how I know. It doesn't kill the motor when the boards drag cornering though :)

But on your bike, the word "BANK" should be displayed on the speedo when that happens. A re-cycle of the key should reset it.

Do you recall if the word "Bank" was displayed.

I was embarrassed and angry with myself and didn't even look at the speedo but after I heaved her up I did turn the switch off then back on then it started right up. I'm not totally sure if I switched off-on-off-on or just off-on. It kinda fired me up. Luckily the bike has suffered no damage other than minor scratches on the floor boards that are hard to find:p

Back