free website stats program Road King seat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King seat

The HD sundowner is a comfortable seat and isn't priced out of sight as some are.

Synthetics oil is a good investment as it stands more in the way of high temps without breaking down and can be changed to synthetic oil at any mileage.

I'll echo glider's comments! The Sundowner is a MAJOR improvement over the stock seat. The passenger area is also a little wider.

Synthetic oils is the only way to go in my opinion.

CONGRATULATIONS on your recent Road King Std purchase!!

Greybeard...tell ya what..The very first thing we did after we got our standard RoadKing was replace the seat..there are seats out there that cost from the elbow down. However we actually bought a Harkey seat PN 51102-01A. Its not priced out of site. I am 62 and wife is 57 so we need a bit extra comfort...our longest ride in one day was 809 miles...and we walked ok when we got off the RK...lol and since we've added Air Rider (airrider.com )cushions...I don't understand how they work but they keep you dry and extremely comfortable..Made from memory form and gel ..I think...On syn oil..I use V-Twin Mobil 1...in the transmission..I use Royal Purple...and reg. chain oil from Harley in the primary...and you bet its worth it to go syn...the main reason for the Mobil 1...you can get it a lot more places than you can get the Harley syn.....and Congrats on the RoadKing...

I know this is an old thread and the break in is probably long done but I wanted to post this anyway. It's a very good way to seat the rings on a new motor so they seat fully all around the bore. It forces the rings out on accel and decel (both top and bottom in the piston grooves) so they seat completely to the cylinder and not just in the high spots when running it easy during break in.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accel from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + )and coast back down to 30 again . Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Then enjoy it.

Last edited:
Hey Glider,

Methinks you missed on the thread to reply to. Or, I've had waayyy to many beers...

Mako

Hey Glider,

Methinks you missed on the thread to reply to. Or, I've had waayyy to many beers...

Hi Mako

The origional poster (Greybeard) asked this question as part of his question in post #1...

"Also what are your thoughts on breaking it in and is the synthetic oil really worth the money? Thank you, Greybeard"

I was replying to that part of his thread even though it was an old thread, it's still beneficial to other posters.:lero

Too many beers, pass some over here:D

Last edited:
I guess I just lost the flow of the thread. I was focusing on seats and then read your post and kinda got lost. No problem, I'll just cut back one beer (per hour) and it'll be OK.

I had the dealership perform the break-in on my Road King using the dyno. Saved me a lot of worry about whether I was doing everything as I should as far as the break-in.

I'll echo what the others have said to use synthetic oil, I do with no adverse effects. As far as the seat goes, Mustang, Corbin and H-D all have comfortable seats but for me being vertically challenged I require a low seat so as uncomfortable as it can get at times I need to keep the stock one.

No doubt Mustangs can be comfy, but imo the vinyl isn't sturdy enough, tares pretty easily when you wear a chain.

I'd go with Corbin, they've never steered me wrong, and the leather holds up very very well.

-Ryan.

Back