Road King problem and need help

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by jddd95, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jddd95

jddd95 New Member

Today, I was driving down the road and my bike died on me. It would not restart and when I used jumper cables it started right up. The lights come on and but won't start unless being jumped. What would cause it to just die after running about 60 miles today?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

It could be the battery cable connections need cleaning. Remove the neg first and on last and clean them well.

Don't forget there are 2 ends to each cable. Check under the rear of the tank for a cable connection too.

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As Glider suggests, Sounds like a bad connection. Could also be the battery but start simple. Be sure to actually remove the cable and inspect under each end. Clean, treat with some dielectric grease and re-attach. Let us know what you find.
    Welcome to the forum too!

Bodeen

4. jddd95

jddd95 New Member

Here is another question. When I did get a jump, I disconnected the battery and it shutdown again. Reconnected the battery, jump again and it started up. Is this normal when disconnecting battery?

While riding today my bike died on the highway. When I did get a jump, it started right up, I disconnected the battery and it shutdown again. Reconnected the battery, jump again and it started up. Is this normal when disconnecting battery? or do I have a bigger problem than just a dead battery?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Re: Battery issue?

A "dead" battery and a "bad" battery are two different things. It sounds like you have a Bad battery (open cell).

6. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

These bikes need a certain amount of voltage to operate properly and pulling the battery cable can cause it to shut down just as can a bad battery and/or cable, etc.

Like already stated, time to check all your cables connection, load test the battery and check the charging system.

http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/index.php/t-30685.html

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

After Jumper Battery cables taken off shows Little Charge in the battery..

Battery must be at 50% to barely run the motor. Low voltage will cause it to Die... You ran 60 miles and that drained out all the needed juice..
    I charged a Low battery once , Headed off to the HD shop about 65 miles away and the bike Died right before the shop by 6 miles.. Hmmmm 60 miles....

My problem was a stator, Yours Most likely a battery.. IS This the First battery??? Even IF the second one, I'd almost guarantee it is a Battery..

UNLESS you smell Burn smell in the primary... Take off the derby cover and Whiff. Smell Burnt? = Stator

signed....BUBBIE

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

jddd95; is this the "original" battery for your 05? If so - you got your money'$ worth...sounds like time for replacement. Hope it does the trick.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:sA bad Battery will show a host of problems and can come at any time. Load test it , replace it and check your charging system