free website stats program Road King problem and need help | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King problem and need help

jddd95

Today, I was driving down the road and my bike died on me. It would not restart and when I used jumper cables it started right up. The lights come on and but won't start unless being jumped. What would cause it to just die after running about 60 miles today?

It could be the battery cable connections need cleaning. Remove the neg first and on last and clean them well.

Don't forget there are 2 ends to each cable. Check under the rear of the tank for a cable connection too.

As Glider suggests, Sounds like a bad connection. Could also be the battery but start simple. Be sure to actually remove the cable and inspect under each end. Clean, treat with some dielectric grease and re-attach. Let us know what you find.
Welcome to the forum too!

Bodeen

Here is another question. When I did get a jump, I disconnected the battery and it shutdown again. Reconnected the battery, jump again and it started up. Is this normal when disconnecting battery?

While riding today my bike died on the highway. When I did get a jump, it started right up, I disconnected the battery and it shutdown again. Reconnected the battery, jump again and it started up. Is this normal when disconnecting battery? or do I have a bigger problem than just a dead battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Battery issue?

A "dead" battery and a "bad" battery are two different things. It sounds like you have a Bad battery (open cell).

After Jumper Battery cables taken off shows Little Charge in the battery..

Battery must be at 50% to barely run the motor. Low voltage will cause it to Die... You ran 60 miles and that drained out all the needed juice..
I charged a Low battery once , Headed off to the HD shop about 65 miles away and the bike Died right before the shop by 6 miles.. Hmmmm 60 miles....

My problem was a stator, Yours Most likely a battery.. IS This the First battery??? Even IF the second one, I'd almost guarantee it is a Battery..

UNLESS you smell Burn smell in the primary... Take off the derby cover and Whiff. Smell Burnt? = Stator

signed....BUBBIE

jddd95; is this the "original" battery for your 05? If so - you got your money'$ worth...sounds like time for replacement. Hope it does the trick.

:sA bad Battery will show a host of problems and can come at any time. Load test it , replace it and check your charging system

Back