free website stats program Road King plug wire install | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King plug wire install

RKRider

According to the factory service manual, the tank needs to be removed to replace the plug wires. This seems like overkill since I think I need only a little bit of space.

Any body have a thought or shortcut please?

Yes, tank needs to be elevated & don't forget to cover/protect it with a towel/cover so you don't get dings while it's up.

remove tank mounts raise and support tank careful to protect engine and fuel line, should give enough room to snake the wires in

Whenever I raise the tank I run the bike with the fuel pump fuse out till it stalls ,then remove the fuel line.I get a little more height that way without worrying about breaking the fuel line.

I need to replace my plug wires as well. I installed the braided cross over line. if I remove the cross over do you know if i can buy just the neoprene, or rubber what ever its made from the lil ferruls? or gaskets; not sure what they are called. I would rather remove the tank just to be safe i like have two left thumbs.

if ya raise tank as said be carefull not to break fuel line if you dont disconnect it also dont break the clip that holds the spark plug wires to the frame

I have the braided crossover line on mine too and I have removed it several times without replacing ferrules and didn't have any leaks so far. Just be careful to only tighten nuts as per instruction sheet so a small amount of ferrule is showing up through nut between nut and tubing. Hope that helps
:D

Welcome to the HDT forum Afishinado, and your first post...glad we were able to help. The precaution of not raising the tank too high so as to not damage the plastic inlet fitting is a real problem.

If you do happen to break it, there are all brass ones to replace it. Use the Search tab and type key words to find related thread for hardware. As for the spark plug wires, raising the tank and propping it with a small jewelry box or piece of wood works just fine.

I replaced mine at 50k miles, I was having other issues and thought wires might repair the problem turned out the wires were still good, I was also told to disconnect the fuel line at the EFI module and not the tank disconnect as sometimes it may leak there on re-connecting it, and as previously said pull the fuel pump fuse while the bike is running to de-pressurize the fuel system don't like the way gas tastes!

Back