free website stats program road king or street glide which would you buy?? | Harley Davidson Forums

road king or street glide which would you buy??

take 5

New to the forum.........

Looking at the road king and street glide, have a dyna now and want to move up to touring bike. Which bike would be better for 2-up riding or is there a difference, probably would put a detachable tour pak on either bike to take off for solo riding. Opinions would be appreciated................

Road King IMO as long as you are going for the tour pack. You can remove the shield on the King, it makes a difference if you ride in hot climates otherwise bikes are pretty similar.

Welcome to the forum!

You will get lots of varying input on this as it is personal preference. What you are looking for may not be what I am looking for in a bike and since I am not a fan of the street glides I would go with the RK. I had a 2007 RK Police and loved it. Moved up to the UC for more comfort for the wife and I. I would like to get another RK one day just to cruse around town in.

Road King IMO as long as you are going for the tour pack. You can remove the shield on the King, it makes a difference if you ride in hot climates otherwise bikes are pretty similar.

thanks, I do like the looks of the RK, I am concerned about 2-up riding, I was told there is a little more room on the RK then the SG with the tour pak and that you may bottom out occasionally with the SG, don't know if that's true or not.

New to the forum.........

Looking at the road king and street glide, have a dyna now and want to move up to touring bike. Which bike would be better for 2-up riding or is there a difference, probably would put a detachable tour pak on either bike to take off for solo riding. Opinions would be appreciated................

I"M PARTIAL WITH GLIDER's response here...

MY 09 FLHR is a look a like of his (blue) but with hard bags and narrow stripe tire.. not the C model...

I rode a 2000 FXDS for 117,000 miles and AUG 22 took possession of the new bike (09) down in Bend Org....(traded in oregon in middle of a tour trip)

I bot the 09 right after the 2010's came out and saved $$$$$$$$$$.. You might still be able to locate one if you ask your dealer?? not enough difference from 09-10 on RK to make a difference for me in 1 year older.... as i plan to KEEP this bike a long while...

The PLAIN new road king was the bike WE both liked. After riding for many years and familiar with the MANY different models of hd's. This RK was the choice, I didn't want a faring/lowers or radio with tunes/reports nor 2 way communications... JUST A GREAT RIDE

NOT DISAPPOINTED A BIT.........7000+ trouble free miles with stage1 /TFI tuner/45-47 mpg no popping. using GOOD synthetic oils.. look on this site for advice and info. HD's syn3 is a SIN !!!

I had the ALL POINTS docking hardware installed so i COULD attach and remove luggage/sissy/ and tour-pac box if needed...(? later)

I put on a removable luggage rack/ along with a NICE BIG sissy bar n pad for wife.... she LOVES the great lumbar support it gives...

I used a T bag to travel on the dyna.. It tied and clipped up on the new bike just fine.... The hard saddle bags (HD liners) are big enough for MY STYLE of traveling along with T-bag worked so well.... Doubt if i will get the tour-pac box...

The FLHR looks really COOL when you strip off the x-tra stuff for a one up ride...

JUST MY STYLE!!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

09 FLHX so I'll be partial to that but with that said the points that biglew55 pointed out helped me make my desicion. I love having the fairing with the gauges, radio, and style the FLHX has, but its personal opinion and what you want. To me the RK holds the styling of where HD came from and SG is the future.

you ask what I would buy between the two.
The SG hard bags and full faring is the reason.
RK is a good value but I would always miss the faring

I'm w/smitty901, not to be bias, for the same reason(s). Nice having the fairing w/full gages, radio, etc. & hard bags for stroage. Also appealed to my taste/style (personal preference).

Don't get me wrong - either bike is a good choice, but I'm more for the SG. Be ready for a slew of responses - the floodgates are open. This would be a hard choice to make:wall

Sounds like it's time to go to the dealer for a few test rides.:bigsmiley8:

I'm w/smitty901, not to be bias, for the same reason(s). Nice having the fairing w/full gages, radio, etc. & hard bags for stroage. Also appealed to my taste/style (personal preference).

Don't get me wrong - either bike is a good choice, but I'm more for the SG. Be ready for a slew of responses - the floodgates are open. This would be a hard choice to make:wall

Sounds like it's time to go to the dealer for a few test rides.:bigsmiley8:

do you do alot of 2-up riding and is it ok..........

Don't know if you can get your hands on "Ride" - a British motorbike mag ($9.75 in USA, but they have a website too). In the Dec 09 edition, it has an article testing four big touring bikes down through France into the Pyrenees - HD Street Glide, BMW K1300GT, Kawasaki 1400GTR and Honda Pan European ST1300. Makes for good reading.

Unusually for this sort of "comparison" (I frequently sense a lot of anti-Harley bias in much of the bike press), the Street Glide doesn't come out too badly although the laurels go to the Beemer.

But for me, there isn't a better looking scoot than the RK - it's not called King for nothing. JMO on my next Harley........:D

Good luck with your choice. :D

Back