free website stats program Road King Oil Cooler Install | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Oil Cooler Install

As a self employed person, I can understand why they charge what they charge. Overhead is usulally huge the technicians all have to make a living as we all do. Whether we feel the price is to high or not in order for economy to survive we all have to pay something. In my business I have all kinds of handyman guys that try and compete by slashing prices or doing it for cash and not having any overhead costs, this being said I hope everyone will understand that the price that is given isnt all profit. What I do say is always get 3 prices to compare.

Tubguy

Most auto or motorcycle techs need to be able to do the work in half the time listed in the flat rate book. If they don't they won't last because they won't generate enough money to make it profitable for the dealer to employ them. Some one has to pay for all the overhead. Anyone who is self employeed will understand.

Gentlemen, can I ask you......................

If your lawyer worked 1 hr. on your file, and billed you 2 hrs., would you be upset?

If a plumber worked 1 hr. at your home on a job and then billed you for 2 hrs., would you be upset?

My question is not about techs. making a "fair" wage and dealers covering overhead, I'm just asking what others experienced as a bill out time for the oil cooler install. Thank-you for the replies (sincerely), but I'm just a bit surprised at some of the responses. Just my opinion though. :s

Gentlemen, can I ask you......................

If your lawyer worked 1 hr. on your file, and billed you 2 hrs., would you be upset?

If a plumber worked 1 hr. at your home on a job and then billed you for 2 hrs., would you be upset?

My question is not about techs. making a "fair" wage and dealers covering overhead, I'm just asking what others experienced as a bill out time for the oil cooler install. Thank-you for the replies (sincerely), but I'm just a bit surprised at some of the responses. Just my opinion though. :s

That is my point. I understand overhead and profit, but charging me 2x's what it would take me to do while i am just doing as a hobby, that doesn't sit right with me. I work on the bikes for fun, but my car, if it even has an oil filter or a dip stick for that matter, i couldn't tell you where they were. My car is now 8 years old and the check oil level warning came on a few weeks ago, so i brought it in for an oil change. Whatever the mechanic charges me is what i pay, don't even question it because i know he is not ripping me off. Its always reasonable.
If Harley were to flat rate a price, that would be fine, but tell me it takes 2 hours. Especially with all the other garbage i hear about dealers, for example, it seems that whenever they are under warranty, as long as they still run, whatever the symptom is, "they all do that" or "they all make that noise." Harley is so much luckier then they know, what ever specifically caused their cult like following, and their ability to gouge on prices...they better start thinking a little more about customer loyalty now that Americans are beggining to 'realize' our true economic situation.

Last edited:
yep, i still trust there know how, i have them do most all work on my bike except oil changes and trans, primary, rest i leave to the pros, its just two tires between me and road, why chance it!!!

I tried to get them to tell me how much fluid the forks take on my sporty, They wouldnt ! Insisted I buy there over priced manuel. I spent probley 16 grand there and they wanted another 60 bucks for a Question. From now on I just buy the bike there if that. I called another shop the dude there took my # then returned my call and I'v spent alot less there ! There as greedy as they come. They have the worst customer service and I've dealt with several.

Remember we ask and expect full service for a job...NOT assuming that we KNOW how to do the task...! Oil cooler SHOULD be about an hour, maybe two MAX. But my expectation is that they do a good and complete job WHATEVER they charge.

Had independent work on my daughters' car (cause she was far away up in UC Berkley) four wheel brake job...COMPLETE...expected it done...! Rainy week coming home afterwards, she hit brakes, car would not stop...THEN the rear right wheel fell off. Lucky she did not get hurt or killed, just "brushed" the armoco barrier...towed into local dealer in our town. Up on the rack, the wheel bearings were dry, the lug nuts were not torqued, some were overtightened, most were under tightened, only the brake pads, shoes were replaced, none of the rotors or drums were turned, wheel cylinders and calipers had leakage...! :newsmile055:

The point is it is not JUST the money or time that really matters, but whether the servicer would do a good and complete job to put your life or loved ones on the line. Because on the road where the rubber contact is only the size of your palms, it must meet owner AND customer expectations and satisfaction is the real tail of the tape where you measure service performance and quality...not the $$$'s which are part of the tools to get the job done.:hii

Last edited:
I understand how getting a qoute for an install on the oil cooler might seem a little over the top when maybe it should only take an hour. But consider if there were any problems that are unforseen such as for example a siezed bolt sheared off , the install wouldn`t be as easy as some, its a flat rate charge.

All my jobs are based on and 8hr shift, sometimes I`m done in 6 hours and sometimes 9. I do the same installs everyday but sometimes murphy catches up.....

I hear more stories of people being upset about the dealers than good stories, doesn`t matter what store you buy something from there`s issues everywhere. It`s called horrible customer care and no one gives 2 hoots about anything except usually the owner... JMO

Tubguy

Flat rate is what it is. You are quoted a price and thats what you pay whether the tech does it quicker, or runs into problems and takes two hours extra.

I installed my own cooler and it took about two hours to do but then again when I work on my own stuff, I tend to take my time, enjoy the work and ensure that things are done right the first time.

The job can always be done faster but I used to make a pretty good living as a professional mechanic fixing the screw-ups left behind by the superfast superstars.

The shop I worked at was pricey but customers always got good value for their dollar.

As far as Harley dealers go, I have always had pretty good service and I have no problem supporting them. Some are better than others but most will bend over backward to help you out if you run into trouble when on the road.

You can always find someone who will do the job cheaper but I guess you can also do all your shopping at Walmart if thats what you are into.

Back