free website stats program Road King Oil Cooler Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Oil Cooler Install

bobalu

I'm getting the Harley Turbulator Oil Cooler (part #26155-09) for my 2010 Road King Classic. The Dealership is quoting me 2.0 hrs. labour to install. This seems like twice the time from what I've been reading around here, at least for DIY installs. You would think a dealer tech could do it at least as fast as a DIY'er, no? Or are they just milking the time?

Has anyone had one dealer installed, and what was the labour time charged?

(I'm just looking for input on this charge out time issue, so please hold off on the "why don't you just install it yourself" suggestions, thanks. It's a long story).

I'm getting the Harley Turbulator Oil Cooler (part #26155-09) for my 2010 Road King Classic. The Dealership is quoting me 2.0 hrs. labour to install. This seems like twice the time from what I've been reading around here, at least for DIY installs. You would think a dealer tech could do it at least as fast as a DIY'er, no? Or are they just milking the time?

Has anyone had one dealer installed, and what was the labour time charged?

(I'm just looking for input on this charge out time issue, so please hold off on the "why don't you just install it yourself" suggestions, thanks. It's a long story).

Dealers work off a book time flat rate that is how they pay the techs, sure it could be done faster but the techs get the same pay go figure

+1 on the price. I also do service jobs and use a standard service price.
Just because I am better or faster that some other Tech's, I souldn't get paid less!!

I put that oil cooler on my ultra, and am not an experienced tech. It took me 2 hours to remove lower fairings, change all three oils, adjust clutch, primary chain, install oil cooler, and temp probe for oil temp gauge, new oil filter, and replace all three fluids. And i was not in a hurry.

Thing is part of the shop rate is BURDENED w/ associated costs...takes electricity and a whole lot more to keep the lights open in the shop PLUS in-warranty/out-warranty labor/sustaining and hidden costs. Not justifying it, but a company generally has to allocate each area of it's business as a "profit or loss center"...and we all know that MOCO, even with all it's sucess has been bleeding red ink for years, manufacturing is NOT an easy line to tow...only last year did they even start seeing a "profit". Not too many business's can survive that many years without something sustaining the "cash cow...eh hawg?"

Last edited:
I have put 3 of the Harley coolers on. It took me about an hour or so.

But I do have past experience as an auto mechanic.

Thing is part of the shop rate is BURDENED w/ associated costs...takes electricity and a whole lot more to keep the lights open in the shop PLUS in-warranty/out-warranty labor/sustaining and hidden costs. Not justifying it, but a company generally has to allocate each area of it's business as a "profit or loss center"...and we all know that MOCO, even with all it's sucess has been bleeding red ink for years, manufacturing is NOT an easy line to tow...only last year did they even start seeing a "profit". Not too many business's can survive that many years without something sustaining the "cash cow...eh hawg?"

I find it hard to believe that h/d is not making a profit. I have managed to profit quite a bit off of their stock in the past 6-7 years most of it in the past 2. Red ink on paper is nothing more then just that. Look at Ford financial statements and it all looks the same. Thing is, they didn't need the bailouts because of how their accounting practices work in relation to how they value their inventory, and excessive valus they placed on it, giving them a surplus of nearly a billion dollars. To get back to your point about the shops and how they rate their hourly costs, don't they charge $85 an hour+? I figure that gives them enough room to pay a mechanic, and keep the lights on while still turning a profit. And if not, they need to cut their expenses. In all honesty, almost every h/d dealer i have ever been was so excessively decorated, built, etc. I don't need all those frills where i buy or have a bike repaired, and if THEY feel that THEY do, that is THEIR problem. Most of the customers that are impressed by all the glitz fade away as fast as they appear. I'd rather go to a dealer that is resonably priced and does a good job. JMO of course

my regulator went out couple months ago, the dealership charged me .60 hr to remove the oil cooler to warranty the voltage reg, he told me any add-ons they have to remove to get to the stock warranted part, they would charge me by the hr. to remove them.
so my extended warranty paid for $200.00 regulator, but they charged me and extra $65.00 extra to remove 3 nuts and bolts and reinstall the oil cooler, took me 2 minutes to redo it after they pinched my rubber boot on the volatage reg, the green boot inbetween the 2 clips. it was squeezed out both sides of clip, boy it looked rigged!!!

Like I said, I was not justifying or advocating H-D Dealer workmanship or quality...remember, they would have to make good on their guarantee as well, the crushed connector and any "peripheral damage" would be covered and cost them a bit from the bottom line also!

yep, i still trust there know how, i have them do most all work on my bike except oil changes and trans, primary, rest i leave to the pros, its just two tires between me and road, why chance it!!!

Back